Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever machined a damaged drum. I have one that the band ran out of lining, is scored a little but wpuld clean up with a light skim.
A flex band would still adjust up ok.
Anyway curious if anyone has tried .

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
No, I haven't. But, I would think from the material and shape, it would ring during normal cutting operations to leave a poor waved surface unless you have a very large bull-nose centering support for the drum bell. If I had to go out and do one right now, I'd chuck it inside the bell with a 4-jaw, but only lightly as a center and drive so it doesn't distort, and push it against the chuck face with a tailstock live-center in the splined hole. I think I'd rig a grinding attachment on the lathe to get a nice even friction surface with less likelihood of harmonic wave patterns in the surface. Wear ear muffs.

Maybe someone else will chime-in, but another alternative if you must chuck from the splined end is to pour it full of wax and throw it in the freezer. Machine lightly with coolant to avoid heating the wax until your cuts are done. Maybe. Good luck Greg, and let us know how you do.

David

·
Registered
861 Posts
Sure. Chuck it in a lathe with the washer surface against the chuck.
Take a few light cuts then finish with emery cloth.

·
Premium Member
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys . I might give it a go and see how it turns out . I have already bought a replacement so this one is spare , just a shame to throw it away if can be saved .

Adrian i only wish they were that cheap here . A good used drum costs 80 bucks here + 15 for a courier to deliver .

·
Registered
861 Posts
I've even chucked it in a lathe and used a belt sander on it.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Thanks Guys . I might give it a go and see how it turns out . I have already bought a replacement so this one is spare , just a shame to throw it away if can be saved .

Adrian i only wish they were that cheap here . A good used drum costs 80 bucks here + 15 for a courier to deliver .
Wasn't paying attention. The inside diameter in the direct drum where the metal sealing rings for the pump ride was scored pretty deeply on my C4. I cut it with a boring bar until it was smooth. I then checked that the rings would still seal before assembling.

If the scoring isn't too deep, go for it. As I recall, the reverse/high drum is steel. The direct drum is cast iron so it machined pretty easily.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts