Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the rocker stud pedestals on the early 429 heads (DOVE'S, C9's and C8's) need to be cut down for guide plates ? I know that it has to be done on the 72' and up heads but I am wondering about the older heads. And if they do why and how much needs to be machined off ? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I'm pretty sure you still have to mill the pedestals on these heads.You basically are removing the thickness of the guideplates so your studs will remain at the same hieght after the guideplates are underneath them.This will keep all your valve train geometry the same.An old ford svo book I have recommends milling off.230 on these heads and .300 on the pedestal style.I would check with the guideplate manufacturer or your machineshop to be positive as my book might be out of date on the specs.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
They will work fine without cutting the stud bosses down. There will be plenty of threads left with guide plates. Only on '68-'71 heads though.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
89coupe when you say there will be plenty of threads left on the studs do you mean to go into the head or for valve adjustment as these heads had the positive stop threads on the studs(so raising them would leave you with less threads).The idea of milling the pedestals is too keep everything the same height as stock.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
This might not apply to your heads, but on my 460 heads (D3VE I think) I have the gold colored Crane roller rockers and these special guide plates that didn't require any machining of the heads. They were already on the engine when I bought it, so I don't know the exact model numbers, but I'm sure you could probly look them up at www.cranecams.com .

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Actually I was talking about bottom of rocker clearance to hex on stud clearance. I wouldn't use positive stop studs either. Just use stock guide plates and regular srew in studs without positive stop step and everything will be where it should. The height of the rockers won't change at all and there is plenty of threads in the boss for the studs to screw all the way down into. It's a very easy straight foreward swap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts