Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to mate up a set of 351 cleveland heads to a 351 Windsor motor? What modifications are necessary? I know one guy who did it in an older Bronco and it was quuuuiiiick.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the links, they were very helpful.

I guess the next question I have is: Is it worth it? I was very impressed with the motor I saw with this modification. It seems the main advantage of the cleveland heads is the flow, but will you get similar results getting a good pair of aftermarket SBF heads (windsor Sr or Jr) without the trouble of the modifications needed to run the clevelands?

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
You will also need special length pushrods and an intake.
Here's a pic of my Clevor. It's getting stroked to a 393.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: V8740 on 2/21/02 7:14pm ]</font>

·
Registered
777 Posts
On 2002-02-21 02:20, Wildcat wrote:
the main advantage of the cleveland heads is the flow, but will you get similar results getting a good pair of aftermarket SBF heads (windsor Sr or Jr) without the trouble of the modifications needed to run the clevelands?
I'm a big fan of the cleveland motors. But, good aftermarket heads for the windsor motor will outflow the 2v cleveland castings in stock form. And the 4v heads need work to get any power out of them below 5500 rpm.

So, in my opinion, the best bang for the buck would definatley have to be aftermarket heads on a W. It has alot more going for it that way then against it.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
On 2002-02-21 11:09, kid vishus wrote:

I'm a big fan of the cleveland motors. But, good aftermarket heads for the windsor motor will outflow the 2v cleveland castings in stock form. And the 4v heads need work to get any power out of them below 5500 rpm.

So, in my opinion, the best bang for the buck would definatley have to be aftermarket heads on a W. It has alot more going for it that way then against it.
I agree with Kid on this one.

65 Falcon Sprint Super-Stock-White Lightning
66 Galaxie 500 390 4-V auto-future 4 or 5spd.
95 F-350 XLT Super-Cab DRW 460- Tow Vehical

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DynoTom on 2/22/02 3:23am ]</font>

·
Registered
30 Posts
Let me throw my $0.02 in.
When B&A came out with their swap setup...there was almost no aftermarket support for Fords.However B&A WAS the hot ticket THEN.This is now...the myriad of aftermarket Windsor heads available today is mind numbing.If your doing it for looks great...but if for performance...go with the aftermarket Windsor heads.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am new to the 351C engine, but have worked on a few 289/302s. I was not aware that the heads were this similar. I have recently bought a 74 Ranchero 500 with a 351C and have been shopping for headers. So, will pretty much anything work? If a set of shorties off a fox chassis with a 302 will fit, that would make my day as I have a friend who has a set laying around!

·
Registered
35 Posts
74 Ranchero is a big car. Not like the 1963s. It's also the same as a 72-77 Torino. Use a set of 72 Torino, Gran or otherwise for your engine. If you still can't find them Call Crites in Ohio.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts