Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with these headers in a 63 390 4-speed car with power steering. The price seems right, they do not offer ceramic coating so if one wants that which I do it will be another $250 to $350 plus shipping to somewhere else like QC or Nitro.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a set on my 64 with 460, great products. Best quality headers I've ever owned. Took awhile to get them but worth the wait.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Carl I have a set I'm gonna put on behind this 427/toploader. Fit and finish is good, he needs to hire a new welder though. For the price hard to beat.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well i think i will get the mad dogs or at least put them on my list to get. I haven't heard anything bad about them. This retirement sucks money wise, think I will have to find me a part time under the table job to fund this project.
Anything you deceide to do used to be a 100 here and there. Now its 5 to 600 here and there, but it keeps me away from the refrig and sitting around getting fat. And spring is right Round the corner to start driving and enjoying them again.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have a set on my 64 with a 390. LOVE THEM. Great quality and fit great. You won't be disappointed.

PB
Nashville

·
Registered
147 Posts
Slightly old topic, but still valid...I have a 62 PS, auto and convertible... Who's got the same and has fitted Mad Dogs headers?

·
Registered
830 Posts
I'm 99% sure that Crites doesn't build the headers... They get them from Mad Dog and re-sell them.
Yes I think you are right. I just test fit my set yesterday and they all fit pretty nice. Cyl 1 &2 had to be installed from the bottom only because the generator is sitting right there, but all others went in from the top. They have thick flanges at the head, but there is tons of flange left on there that I'm going to plasma cut off. The welds are pretty ugly and incomplete, I'm going over the whole thing with a tig. Even the tabs that hold on the collector are only booger welded on one side. At least there not made in china.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
I have bought quite a few parts from Crite's and pick them up at their shop (I live about 30 minutes away). The headers on my '64 Galaxie WERE MADE by Crite's at their shop. These were the Gen I headers and this was about 4 years ago but I know that Crite's supplies parts for older Fords to suppliers all over the U.S. He is also set up at Carlisle every year selling his stuff. He has a small shop with very few employees to help keep the prices down. I have not bought anything from him recently so I don't know if he anything has changed.

·
Registered
7,490 Posts
I have bought quite a few parts from Crite's and pick them up at their shop (I live about 30 minutes away). The headers on my '64 Galaxie WERE MADE by Crite's at their shop. These were the Gen I headers and this was about 4 years ago but I know that Crite's supplies parts for older Fords to suppliers all over the U.S. He is also set up at Carlisle every year selling his stuff. He has a small shop with very few employees to help keep the prices down. I have not bought anything from him recently so I don't know if he anything has changed.
Did you SEE them make the headers? ...because they look identical to the Mad Dog units. If you didn't SEE them make the headers, I doubt they did. Headers require special mandrel bent sections that only a few higher volume outlets have the machinery for.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Did you SEE them make the headers? ...because they look identical to the Mad Dog units. If you didn't SEE them make the headers, I doubt they did. Headers require special mandrel bent sections that only a few higher volume outlets have the machinery for.
True, the first set I got had three flanges welded on backwards. I bought the headers about a year before I used them and noticed the mistake when I had the engine on the starter stand, so I returned them to Crite's. They said that they no longer sold the Gen I stuff because they now make Gen II, but they would go down to the fab shop and see if they had any Gen I stuff left over. They gave my a complete set (Gen I) minus one collector and told my that was all the Gen I stuff they had left and told me I could just keep the set I had purchased originally. They said that they had other complaints and had fired the welder.
Just sayin'.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Several years ago, Mad Dog was the supplier for Crites. Crites found a local supplier to knock off Mad Dog design.

Mad Dog sells direct from MD website and eBay.

Very pleased with mine!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Several years ago, Mad Dog was the supplier for Crites. Crites found a local supplier to knock off Mad Dog design.

Mad Dog sells direct from MD website and eBay.

Very pleased with mine!
I contacted him( Mark at Mad dog ) regarding headers for my 64 Galaxie, it was either him or Crites, after finding all the negative reviews about Crites customer service,I decided to go with Mad Dog.My Galaxie has power steering and a z bar for the clutch, so I knew I was not going to get them off of Jegs or Summits shelf.Anyway after about 5 weeks, and a follow-up phone call,they were sitting on my front porch when I got home from work. They fit perfectly, no hammer need ed, only mod I needed to do was relocate the oil filter, the header tube was so close to the filter, the heat was cooking the oil. But they look awesome.

·
Registered
7,490 Posts
I contacted him( Mark at Mad dog ) regarding headers for my 64 Galaxie, it was either him or Crites, after finding all the negative reviews about Crites customer service,I decided to go with Mad Dog.My Galaxie has power steering and a z bar for the clutch, so I knew I was not going to get them off of Jegs or Summits shelf.Anyway after about 5 weeks, and a follow-up phone call,they were sitting on my front porch when I got home from work. They fit perfectly, no hammer need ed, only mod I needed to do was relocate the oil filter, the header tube was so close to the filter, the heat was cooking the oil. But they look awesome.
Sounds good! As for the oil filter... There are some other possible fixes for that.

A Dodge oil filter is just like the Ford unit, but shorter. I've got a 1999 Dodge Caravan with a 3.3L engine, and instead of using the Dodge filter, I use the Ford. You could also go the other way. I also think Ford has some cars that use the same filter, but it's smaller in diameter. Not sure of the application or number on that, though. Pretty sure it exists, but can't think of it right now.

Good Luck!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts