Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine was watching Mad Max the other day and was amazed at the idea of a clutch driven blower. Have you guys by any chance come across any companies that sell clutch driven blowers of superchargers?

·
Registered
413 Posts
I am a big Mad Max Freak. I have heard of a company I think in Florida that makes a clutch for a blower. It works like a clutch on an AC compressor.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: windsoreight on 2/25/02 10:16am ]</font>

·
Registered
45 Posts
Toyota actually uses this type of blower on their 4A-GZE 1.6L 4cyl & 1G-GZE 2L 6cyl motors. It's a small roots style blower with a air con style clutch on the front. It's only a 2 lobe rotor & apparently not all that efficient. But on the positive side, they're cheap as chips to buy from a jap parts wrecker if you wanted to get one or two to play around with.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Ok here's a question...when the blower isnt turning,how does the intake charge get past the rotors and into the engine?Have you ever looked into the top of a roots type blower?Not alot of daylight gets through there when the rotors are sitting still.

·
Registered
11 Posts
One more thing Cheesy failed to mention. Has anyone seen a Clutch Driven Blower for a Fuel injected Car V8.

Yes, I'd never seen "Mad Max" before. I would love to bolt something like that on to the Car.

PLEASE HELP!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Syndicate on 2/25/02 9:06pm ]</font>

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
You'd have to have a bypass for when the blower was off. The only way I could figure it out would be to have the screws on a slide. When the clutch was on, the screws would be together compressing air. When the blower was off, a solenoid would have to slide the screw(s) out to let air pass between them. It could be done, but there would be some afro-dynamics involved.
It would be neat as hell though!

·
Registered
11 Posts
What about some kind of split in the induction point, similar to a Waste gate for a turbo maybe or like some of those exhaust cut out with the pull levers to close and open them.

Am I way of first base or kind of in the ballpark.. I have no problem trying to design some Afro-Eng. as was said, as long as it looks good and functions properly.

Keep the Ideas Coming.. this could very well work..
Thanks

·
Registered
166 Posts
i always thought it would be pretty cool, to sit at a light next to someone, and just before it turns green, you just hear a supercharger wind up.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Nice idea that MAD MAX setup shown in the movie.
I neverwhere saw a switching blower .
But how about:
a normal blower with a clutch (like a klima compressor ) and a bypass between blower and carb. ?

so if you switch the clutch the blower is beginning to work the bypass is closed now (electric or mechanicaly) and the car is beginning to spin the tires !
(dont know how about setting the jets in a carb , but with a computer controlled injection think this is not a big problem.
all theory ! but I am thinking....

·
Registered
109 Posts
i think the idea of the rotors seperating sounds feasible...i believe fuel injection would be the only way to go though. So how was the toyota or whatever that was setup to bypass the blower... im thinking u could come up with a design using parts or at least original ideas of the toyota bypass-ible blower. Boy do i wish i was rich and had my own CNC shop!

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
I think the easiest way to do it would be to put a T in the intake duct with a flapper that closes off the non presurized side when the blower makes any pressure. If it had a light spring in it as soon as you shut off the blower clutch the flapper would open up the regular inlet. I think it is similar to the Ford racing mufflers they had in MM&FF last month. It went through the baffles at a low CFM then opened up at high RPM to go straight through the muffler. If you could find one in 3" I dont think it would be hard at all, maybe change the spring and help it seal up better.
Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wasn't the blower on the Mad Max Falcon accually just bolted to the top of the air cleaner on a 351C? I think I saw some under the hood pictures of the car used in the movie on a website somewhere.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
The idea of a clutched blower has been tried a number of times. Remember "Lone Wolf McQuade" and his ramcharger. The way they got around this was by machining the rotors on the low side which made a channel for the fuel to run. With enough vacuum, it was no problem sucking in the fuel but only at higher (1,200) rpms.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts