Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well they opened the track today, and it took them awhile to dry it out, when they did only a few cars got runs in before the rains came again. I was one of the lucky ones to get in a pass on a green and slick track.

13.886 at 107.5 sideways in 1st and 2nd and had to lift in 3rd, I remember what happend last year when I spun the tires in 3rd.

that is 7 tenth`s slower than my best but almost a mile per hour faster than my best.

This thing really rocks, and when it gets up to 6k or so it sounds awsume. So much more than what I had last year, again I cant wait to get in some decent runs now.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Been there........done that........(the rain out gigs). Sucks. At least you got one run before the rain.
Looking forward to hearing the results of a good, (i.e. non sideways), pass!

Keep us up to date!

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hate to say it but I may need the slicks to get in the 12`s, my goal all along has been to get there with out the slicks, but I dont want to sacrifice the car or my health by trying to make it happen with out decent traction. I am confident I can say I own a 12 second 65 fastback, I just need to get the documentation to prove it.

I have to say though I have the fastest, slowest car I have ever seen make a run at the track. I have seen cars run low 12`s with a slower MPH than I am running.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
I got you there. The week after I broke my 3.55 geared mini-spooled 8", I put my 3.00 open pumpkin in an ran the next Saturday for the hell of it. 275/60/15 radials and at that time I was running 12.0s(could not get an 11.99 to save my life but could get 12.00 at 116 on Mcreary G-60s soft dirt tires) but this time I ran it with single wheel drive and radials. I ran a 15.60 or 15.70 something at almost the same 115MPH spinning instantly in first shifting to 2nd and holing it in 2nd till past 3/4 track once past all the grand stands where the road speed about equaled the valve float RPM in 2nd and then the tire hooked and shifted into 3rd for maybe 3 seconds before I crossed the line. I smoked the crap out of it almost the whole way letting the valves float around 7200RPM the whole way in 2nd gear until tire got traction and went into 3rd. I got mixed attention from that and learned not to do that anymore. The slower cars thought that was cool and some spectators but most guys thought that was stupid and served no purpose other than wasting a tire(which wasn't really wasted, still had tread left) and leaving a very long and straight wide black strip down the track. MPH 1 less than with traction so MPH is a very reliable HP indicator but I was using a stock converter at that time which is why my ET was only 12.0s and 60ft times were pretty slow. Sorry, I didn't mean to one up you, I just remembered that day and I still have the time slip. That was the only pass I ever made like that.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats OK, even though we were not competative from an E.T. perspective, there is something to be said about WOW factor. WOW you only ran a what?, WOW how fast?

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Yah, you tell people a slow ET and a high MPH and they give you a funny look. Before that run, I didn't really know there was a relationship with HP, weight and MPH but after that I did and understood. I had fun though during that pass seeing nothing but pure smoke behind the car the whole time and the smake didn't blow off the track either so when I cam around on return road, the cars behind me were waiting for the smoke to clear so they could make a pass.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts