Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a supercharged 95 mustang gt 5.0. The car is completely stock with the exception of the vortech supercharger kit which includes s-trim supercharger, trex fuel system, ignition boost, boost retard, air filter, custom x-pipe, and 4.10 gears. i took my car to my local drag strip and netted a 14.638 et @ 98 mph on street tires. i would like to slowly build my car but i have a relatively tight budget. some have suggested that i start with the induction. specifically the mass air flow meter. i plan on purchasing this first, but i am confused as to whether i need to replace the stock injectors with larger ones with this modification.? Or should i start with replacing the stock headers? what would be the most cost effective modification? Also, the car seems to smell of gas, and i know the car has stock cap and rotor, and spark plugs. could it be that the fuel is not being completely burned?

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I am a little **** faced right now...but shouldnt that thing run a wee bit better? How much boost are you running? I would have NEVER guessed that et AND speed!!!

Jeff Given

Sorry If I was mean at all ....

·
Registered
146 Posts
Those numbers seem a little off to me as well, maybe sone part of your current combo is out of tune, did the guy who you bought it from tell you what he ran with it? As for your question about maf's they have to be matched to the injector size. You might want to check the archives for a very comprehensive article on selecting the right maf and the different designs out there. That gas smell it could be alot of things, one that comes to mind might be leaky injectors. Hopefully a few more of the efi guys on this site will start giving you some ideas before too long. Good luck, dont be afraid to ask more questions.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think the best way you could spend money is to get the car professionally race tuned. I think you should run a bit faster as well. Once you know the car is running well, focus on traction. This is where you will get the most bang for your buck. The softer the tire the better, they make some neat streetable slicks too.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Ditto with * If you do not have enough money to hire Van halen to do a party in your back yard the next thing would be to take it to a dyno shop

·
Registered
809 Posts
I agree with the others get it tuned. Sorry but it should have been at least a second faster, with mph in the 102-103 range. Before you have it tuned change the plugs, wires, etc if they arn't new already. I'd find out were the gas smell is comming from as well.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Whoa..hold on. Let's not jump to conclusions. You dont need a "race tune" or anything like that...yet.

First, give us some more info. What was the 60ft time? Did you just make one run.

You should definately be running a higher mph, but if you dont have tires (drag radials or similar) you are not going to achieve a good time.

Secondly, do you have a boost guage? Verify that you are indeed getting boost.

Then get a fuel pressure guage and see what sort of pressure you have at wot.

I am pretty sure that if you have the stock 19lb injectors, and stock fuel pump, that you are not getting enough fuel. And possibly risking detonation.

First modification would be a 190 or 220lph fuel pump.

Secondly, get 30lb injectors and a maf to match. I recommend the C&l (see article on this site) only because you can easily change out the calibration tubes in case you go back to stock, change injector sizes, etc.

Finally, with those neccesities and some tuning on your own (you will need a FP guage, FP regulator, and boost guage) you will be able to tune fuel pressure to the blower. The t-rex in most supercharged experts opinions is not the right way to acheieve proper fuel delivery under boost.

Finally, once you have confidence the engine is making safe power and getting the proper fuel to air ratio throughout the throttle range, then you can eek out the smaller gains with exhaust upgrades and such.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
67stang, my 60ft times average at a measly 2.4 seconds with severe traction problems on stock tires. i am not used to driving a car with so much torque, and i know that these times can be lowered with a better launch technique. how should i be launching the car? Also, the drag strip i took the car to is at high elevation (palmdale raceway, LACR, california). does the 14.6 et make sense considering traction problems and high elevation.

and yes, i do have a boost gauge that does read 7 lbs of boost at full throttle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts