Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen or used the Maier Racing fiberglass stuff, like for Shelby clone pieces??? Their stuff used to be really flimsy, back in the 80's, and I have stayed away, but was wondering if anyone has ordered, or used any of their current stuff to build a Shelby clone and how it compares to Branda, or others.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have used their stuff and have no complaints, I am biased though because I live close to their shop and they would have fixed any problems with the hood(I didnt have any). Others I have talked to do not like the quality of their fiberglass. Hope this helps

·
Registered
76 Posts
yeah ive seen the stuff and their work. their shop is two blocks away from the shop. i havent used their fiberglass yet but im buying a teardrop hood from them. i used their 720 spring and front suspension

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 63var on 5/26/02 1:46am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Yes,i have used two of their hoods ( one cowl, one shelby )two pairs of side scoops '66 and three front appons ( big opening / uses front bumper ). I am also running a branda / Quaitity brand shelby hood right now . Each hood has it's pro's and con's !!!!! This is only for the hoods, Branda/Quaitity brand GREAT finish ( i.e. edegs ...) But a little thin on top .Maier, twice as thick but the finish is not as good . All this in the last two years .

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have the Maier cowl hood on my 66'. While
it is a strong piece, the body lines don't really line up and the finish is of poor
quality. The good has a large gap around the
edge that can not be made up, by moving in the fenders. It looks like the hood is just
not big enough for the car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies...!!!! I am especially concerned with the front apron fit that they offer for a 67 Shelby. Then again, I've seen another Mustanger's apron from Branda, which needed a ton of shaving and reshaping work also..and he even returned it twice. Has anyone tried John's Mustang, or do they get their stuff from the same sources?????

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
My three aprons on my 65 fastback , 65 conv.
and my 66 coupe all fit 80% to 98% good.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have had both bumpers and front valence from Maier since the late 80's. The valence fits perfectly. The bumpers have a little twist where they go around the side. Otherwise finish on both was good.

The picture doesn't show them very well, but you can see what you can see on Mustang Steve's web site. (mine is the yellow 66 at the end of the pictures.)
http://www.mustangsteve.com/rideheight.html

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
When I was at Woodburn this weekend I ran into one guy who had a Maier cowl hood on his 65, it also looked like it was not wide enough and he said he had spent many $$$$$ trying to get it to fit goog but there were big gaps between the fenders and the hood that he could not fill.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I will tell you that I found puting a Meier Racing "Shelby" front apron on our 1965 Mustang was a hell of a lot more work than we could have expected. Be prepared to be an Engineer, a Mathmatician, and an auto body guy.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I put a pair of their fenders on my GT back
in 1983. I'm 41 now and I almost didn't have
enough patience to do the job back then. It
turned out well, but I've got an honest 17
hours in each side. Like the other post said,
be prepared for the challenge. You will be
an expert at body panel alignment when you're
done.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ive,got an 82 capri with Maier fiberglass rear quarters and fiberglass front fenders,and up until the point of putting them on I hadnt done to much body work. The rear fenders fit good and had to trim off the excess,the front fenders could have been a little longer,but with a little work they fit ok, also I fastened the fenders very well in all the right areas the quality is good and I can stand on the fenders and walk across the top of the ferders and have many times,and im not a pro body man,but I can say that all fiberglass components are all rough,I dont believe there is one fiberglass part that anyone can buy thats a bolt and go item ,they all need to be fitted and they all need sanding and body work applied, because bolted in place can pull or put stresses in diferent locations and depending on weave direction or layup can make parts wanting to twist ,so thats my observation,I think id hate to be selling fiberglass stuff because of all the critics and fingers bieng pointed the wrong ! Your welcome George Odell

1 - 14 of 14 Posts