Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JC sez:

Minn said that he was a Ford Tech at one time. You'd think he would know THAT already, and NOT be so concerned about having one of them "super-duper" Powerforce jobbies.

My reply to that:

Ahh, thou has spoketh! Well JC, I can't agree MORE, to be honest! And since you don't know me ....let me say (briefly, heehee) that, as that past Ford tech, parts man, manager, et al..... I was "force-fed" factory o.e. parts, and, from the other side of the counter, my job was then to do said feeding, ahh karma! Over time, one develops a certain affinity for them, others might call it "anal retentiveness", it's a horse a-piece. Added to that, before the era of TSB's being published to the general public, many times Ford's "field fix" for a problem part was to replace it with an -ummm, aftermarket part. The sky did not fall, no lightning struck the building, we merely did what we were told to do to remedy the problem and put that owner back out burning gas -or we did our own fix and then reported that to the Mothership. (yep, they actually welcomed help!)

Anyways .....all digressing aside..... Once you get to know me you're more likely to say:

"Man-o-man, if Norm is considering a widget.com part for his '64, there MUST be something to it, because we know how HE is about bleeding Blue!"

·
Premium Member
5,864 Posts
Great opener for the "Garage" section :)

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
JC sez:
Minn said that he was a Ford Tech at one time. You'd think he would know THAT already, and NOT be so concerned about having one of them "super-duper" Powerforce jobbies.
My reply to that:

Ahh, thou has spoketh! Well JC, I can't agree MORE, to be honest!
Hey Norm,
Can see it all now... You're talking exotic equipment with someone, and get shown a handsome set of NOS Pep Boys Curb Feelers! You ARE suitably impressed, but in order to not be out-done, you'd be able to say: "Well, those are pretty spiffy, but take a look at THIS!", and with that, you pop the Hood Latch and show off your brand new Powerforce Damper. Sometimes it's necessary to get REALLY serious when someone is trying to "one-up" you. :)

And since you don't know me ....let me say (briefly, heehee) that, as that past Ford tech, parts man, manager, et al..... I was "force-fed" factory o.e. parts, and, from the other side of the counter, my job was then to do said feeding, ahh karma!
Well, they WERE paying you to do it, and one HAS to do what one has to do, so you can't be faulted for a job well done.

Over time, one develops a certain affinity for them, others might call it "anal retentiveness", it's a horse a-piece.
Know what you mean.

Added to that, before the era of TSB's being published to the general public, many times Ford's "field fix" for a problem part was to replace it with an -ummm, aftermarket part. The sky did not fall, no lightning struck the building, we merely did what we were told to do to remedy the problem and put that owner back out burning gas
Which, when everything is said and done, HAS a certain amount of virtue. Especially if it impresses the customer.

or we did our own fix and then reported that to the Mothership. (yep, they actually welcomed help!)
Being self-motivated and engaging in some "beyond-the-call-of-duty" inventiveness also HAS a certain amount of virtue. Especially if it impresses your superiors! It's always nice when your supervisor tells HIS supervisor: "That Norm is pretty sharp... You know what he came up with today?"

Anyways .....all digressing aside..... Once you get to know me you're more likely to say:

"Man-o-man, if Norm is considering a widget.com part for his '64, there MUST be something to it, because we know how HE is about bleeding Blue!"
Am looking forward to that.

Now, about this super-duper Powerforce Damper for an Engine that is internally balanced.

:)

None-the-less Norm, welcome to the FordMuscle Galaxie Forum. And don't let the good folks here intimidate you about the length of your posts. They initially gave me some amount of grief for using the word processor's "quote" feature, and the length of some of my posts and responses, but it didn't take long for them to get used to it all when they finally realized that I was serious about working on Ms. American 3.14159 who is, as far as we can tell, the ONLY 1964 Ford Galaxie 500, Four-Door, Hard-Top, Fast-Back, Police Interceptor that Google finds on the whole World Wide Web.

Ms. American is presently just starting a quite extensive series of maintenance "capers" that have been sorely needed for some time, but were unable to be done because she was needed as a daily driver.

But since Lorrie Van Haul, who is apparently the ONLY surviving 1967 Dodge P200 Postal Van, has just recently become street legal again, the 3.14 is now able to be "down" for an extended period of time without causing a transport crisis.

Anyway, hope you are well.

JC

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was afraid that if I posted it there, JC may miss it -not sure how long his "cord" is. ;)

Anyways, he has answered so now this thread can die here (and I'll continue it where it belongs).

Great opener for the "Garage" section :)

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
I was afraid that if I posted it there, JC may miss it
Hey Norm,
Don't have a garage, so don't hang out there.

not sure how long his "cord" is. ;)
Took it off the other day and don't know where it went. Am in search of the lost cord.

Anyways, he has answered so now this thread can die here (and I'll continue it where it belongs).
Not bloody likely.

JC

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
And the Great Typing and quoting minds have finally come together! This is going to be a WHOPPER of a thread :) :) :)
Hey Gary,
Am going to have to teach Norm how to use the quote button so that he doesn't have to use the "Sez" method.

JC

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JC sez: None-the-less Norm, welcome to the FordMuscle Galaxie Forum. And don't let the good folks here intimidate you about the length of your posts. They initially gave me some amount of grief for using the word processor's "quote" feature, and the length of some of my posts and responses.......

Norm's philosophical and heart-felt reply:

From playing a bit of forum reading catch-up (you "starring" in maaany of those "episodes" I might add), it is evident you have made that quote style yours --and it will stay that way as far as I am concerned.

These "good folks" have offered me quite a bit of help in a very short period of time! Since I 'grew up' in shops and had a WWII M/Sgt drill instructor for a Dad, I thrive on "hip shooters" and straight talk! I can't remember how many times as a young tech, a senior tech, who maybe earlier that day gave me a bag of crap about my hair, how much oil-dri I was wasting, etc...., would then be the guy who stayed late to help me diagnose a tough one -just he and I, the shop's lights half off ...'til it was done. Yep, the next day nuttin' changed, I still got crap about my hair and so on, but I knew THEN.....

Methinks this forum has a lot of those type of good eggs in it. I'm reluctant to name names, because these guys don't want/need validation nor recognition (remember my shop story).

Ok, enuff' gooshy philosophical gaga , let's get back to intimidation, harassment and general mayhem (playfully, that is!). ;)

JC, I wanna see a pic when YOU get those Curb Feelers mounted! You've been "outed", so produce!

Norm

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Norm's philosophical and heart-felt reply:

From playing a bit of forum reading catch-up (you "starring" in maaany of those "episodes" I might add), it is evident you have made that quote style yours --and it will stay that way as far as I am concerned.
Hey Norm,
One just has to remember, that if God had not wanted one to use the "quote" feature, he would not have put it in the program. AND, if God had wanted you to use the "sez" feature, he WOULD have put it in the program! :)

These "good folks" have offered me quite a bit of help in a very short period of time!
They're good about doing THAT!

Since I 'grew up' in shops and had a WWII M/Sgt drill instructor for a Dad, I thrive on "hip shooters" and straight talk!
It appears that you are not a "youngster".

I can't remember how many times as a young tech, a senior tech, who maybe earlier that day gave me a bag of crap about my hair, how much oil-dri I was wasting, etc...., would then be the guy who stayed late to help me diagnose a tough one -just he and I, the shop's lights half off ...'til it was done. Yep, the next day nuttin' changed, I still got crap about my hair and so on, but I knew THEN.....
Know what you mean.

Methinks this forum has a lot of those type of good eggs in it. I'm reluctant to name names, because these guys don't want/need validation nor recognition (remember my shop story).
Some of them are real crackerjacks.

Ok, enuff' gooshy philosophical gaga , let's get back to intimidation, harassment and general mayhem (playfully, that is!). ;)

JC, I wanna see a pic when YOU get those Curb Feelers mounted!
Alright. The latest set that were tried out on Ms. American were modified so that they would play Beethoven's Ninth Symphony when scraped on the curb. Problem with them was that they had a cross section about the size of 2X4, and sounded like the Ninth was being done by that "gooshy, philosophical Lady Gaga" instead of by Led Zeppelin as had been intended.

You've been "outed", so produce! Norm
Will try to get a JPG of NEW units that should be here later this week. But would it be alright of instead of pictures of them "mounted", that it could be snapped with them just shaking hands?

NOW... About how to use the "quote" button... You see down there on the lower right of each post, there is an "Edit", a "Reply" and a "Quote" button? Well, just right click on the "Quote" button and... Go ahead, try it... You'll LIKE it! :)

JC

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My mind's eye is visualizing this Rube Goldberg looking, rolling turn-table , maybe a Ms PI RCA Victor spin-off? I assume you are also running static straps off the back bumper? Try adding a small amount of weight to keep them in good contact with the road surface -to prevent "static overload" of the driver. I would also try shooting for more of a "Radar Love" outcome, since by now Ms PI probably picks up radio frequencies.

Let us know how your progress goes? Norm

JC sez:

Alright. The latest set that were tried out on Ms. American were modified so that they would play Beethoven's Ninth Symphony when scraped on the curb. Problem with them was that they had a cross section about the size of 2X4, and sounded like the Ninth was being done by that "gooshy, philosophical Lady Gaga" instead of by Led Zeppelin as had been intended.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts