Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a stroke on 1-30-13 at only 40. What a shocker for me. 10 days in the hospital. Holy smokes do they load up meds for this. Looks like I should end up okay eventually. Speech and writing a little tweaked. Coordination a bit weird too.

5 minutes later I would have been alone when it hit.

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
Wow, I hope everything improves as expected.

I am going through the same thing at the moment with my father who had a massive stroke 6 months ago.

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
glad you are getting back function- everyone Ive known thats had a stroke did well if anything came back in the first week, within a few months were back to normal... the ones ive known that didnt see any improvement the first week or so really never recovered fully- count your blessings there for sure- plus your age is a big plus, keep gettin better :)

Strokes can be very cruel, my grandpa, a good friend, and a little 5 yr old girl we knew had strokes, didnt get much back soon, and never recovered lost function, but many others ive known got a little back the first week and they all made full recovery.

We take a lot for granted everyday, but when the bad stuff comes along we gotta count those blessings...dont have to look far to see someone dealing with far worse.

a little story to share-
The first night our 3 day old son Michael was up at Rainbow's NICU I was there to see two little ones pass away- the one little girl was just born that day, family/doctors a few feet away you couldnt help but overhear conversation... nothing they could do but prolong inevetable, suggesting removing life support, etc...
a little while later they made the tearful decision to let go, machines were unhooked, they held their little girl for the first and last time as she slipped away.
that was the worst day of my life, all the while wondering if our 3 day old son would be next, etc... but also that was probably the single most important day of my life. We all tend to take so much for granted in life, and I think I was one of the worst at that...God put me there in that place at that time for a reason, and the lesson I got out of it Ive shared as much as I can, and it still tears me up even thinking about that night... that little girl never got to see a single sunrise, or enjoy any of the things that tend to go unnoticed every day... even as bad as Michael was doing at the time, we were way more fortunate than the other young family, and that was tough to rationalize. Mikes first three months 'on the brink' were tough, we almost lost him too many times, and the days of his three heart surgeries were really hard, not knowing if he would come thru it at all. yet we were among the more fortunate folks there.
Some lifetimes are measured in hours or minutes, if we get even one day with our children we are more fortunate than many...seeing anything 'lucky' about being in that situation was hard to rationalize for me, but i learned and will never forget. Every relatively healthy day we get is more than some lifetimes, gotta do our best to do our best :)
Tim

·
Premium Member
5,863 Posts
I had a stroke on 1-30-13 at only 40. What a shocker for me. 10 days in the hospital. Holy smokes do they load up meds for this. Looks like I should end up okay eventually. Speech and writing a little tweaked. Coordination a bit weird too.

5 minutes later I would have been alone when it hit.

Yikes! I hate stories like that. What was the cause, do you know?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hey Cruisin63, you take it easy and do whatever the Doc says buddy. Your health takes precedence over anything else. Get yourself healthy first, then you can resume the build. I mean if you are not around to enjoy it, whats the point anyway? It will still be there when you are strong enough to resume. I had a 66 VW that I was doing a complete resto-mod on that I started in Oct. 2009. In Jan. 2010 I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. I was doing a complete pan off restoration and by the time I had the chassis completed in March, it was time for surgery and I had a radical prostatectomy. That put me out of commission for about eight weeks. Even though I could not turn wrenches on the bug, which pissed me off, I spent most of that time researching on the internet, all the parts I had left to buy. That gave me plenty of time to find the best parts at the best prices, so even though I was out of commission so to speak, I really was not. I got a lot accomplished! Anyway, the cancer is gone now, the bug got completed and it is now all history. Now in 2 weeks, exactly 3 years to the day, I am having surgery again. This time to correct one of the side effects from the first surgery. I'm looking very forward to it and am excited. Once completed and healed I think I'll change my user name to "Superhardon". Anyway, get better and get on with it, but make sure that you don't try to rush anything. Best of luck to you.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Hey man, Sorry you had to experience this. My pops has had 2 strokes and 3 heart attacks since 1992, and he's survived and come out unscathed from all of them, and is 73 now and as of last night still kickin'. You're going to come through this just fine, but the life change is going to be a bitch to get used to... :)

Glad you're still mobile and not looking like Peter Griffin!
at 45 I worry about strokes all the time but I take no preventative measures... Stupid I know, but I'm retarded like that.

Glad you're getting better! Stick around old man :) I'll come visit you this summer sometime over in E-Wen, when I come visit my old Sea Bee buddy.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. Big improvements already. Typing is pretty slow, gets better each day. It also seems to help with the speech issues. Currently trying to ditch the codeine. Cold turkey, I know not best, but withdrawal should only be a day or so only after a couple weeks. HATE how it feels. Like in a cloud all the time. I'd rather deal with the shakes for a day or 2 than feels that crap doing weird things to me.

The pain is no worse using only tylenol, so reason to stay on it. Sleep is pretty bad. Hope that works out soon. Hopefully the codeine ditching fixes it.

On a good note, the Galaxie fired up great, the clock still kicking. The car sure looked good with a fine woman driving it!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Nice to hear its a big improvement already. Hope the improvement will increase

·
Registered
197 Posts
hey glad to hear your alive.My brother in law went to bed friday night and never woke up.51 yrs old.had a heart attack.Be thankful.Yes this is a great forum with a great bunch of posters!

·
Premium Member
3,934 Posts
Thanks everyone. Big improvements already. Typing is pretty slow, gets better each day. It also seems to help with the speech issues. Currently trying to ditch the codeine. Cold turkey, I know not best, but withdrawal should only be a day or so only after a couple weeks. HATE how it feels. Like in a cloud all the time. I'd rather deal with the shakes for a day or 2 than feels that crap doing weird things to me.

The pain is no worse using only tylenol, so reason to stay on it. Sleep is pretty bad. Hope that works out soon. Hopefully the codeine ditching fixes it.

On a good note, the Galaxie fired up great, the clock still kicking. The car sure looked good with a fine woman driving it!
What an awesome update. I truly love when I hear someone take control of their own recovery, call me crazy but I can see you recovering quickly based on your attitude.

I hate to see someone have to fight something like this but you can clearly do it.

I am ABSOLUTELY no granola eating poet, but please read the poem at this link. It is for guys like us, and I hope it helps. I have it hanging on my office wall.

Invictus by William Ernest Henley

Keep getting better and tell us how its going

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
Glad to hear you are doing as we'll as you are...
A coworker of mine, in his mid fourtyies ..
Whent thru same thing last year...
Therapy ,change of diet and bad habits ..
Took him about six months , he's good as new again...
But a whole different look at life now...

Stay positive and get well soon....:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts