Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys im new here and wanted some advice, i have a 1970 mustang with the 302 engine and wanted to see what other parts i could add to increase the power output. The parts i currently have are, edelbrock air gap itake manifold, edelbrock 750 cfm carb, and some flotech headers. I was looking into buying some aluminum heads but which would be the best for my setup. Thanks any advice is appreciated

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Hello guys im new here and wanted some advice, i have a 1970 mustang with the 302 engine and wanted to see what other parts i could add to increase the power output. The parts i currently have are, edelbrock air gap itake manifold, edelbrock 750 cfm carb, and some flotech headers. I was looking into buying some aluminum heads but which would be the best for my setup. Thanks any advice is appreciated
You're missing a lot of info here to get any worthwhile help. First would be, what are your intentions for the car? Street, drag, road race or something in between? Unless you're going really out there the 750 carb is more than you'll need and will hurt performance. If that 302 is going to be a high revving 347 then you're fine. If you're talking simple bolt-on's to a stock bottom end 302 I'd suggest a something in the 600 cfm range with vacuum secondary's. If you're planning on heads then I'll guess you are also talking cam swap or you're wasting money there.

You need to figure out what it is you plan to do with the car first. Next comes your budget, followed by your build plan. A lot of engine design revolves around car weight, transmission type and gear ratio too. Its all a package so everything needs to be thought out and must work together. An engine is one big air pump so going too big or too small in one area hurts overall. Pass on all the info you can and you'll get better advise.

John

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use this car on weekends so i dont really want a race car, just wanna add more power. All the things ive mentioned are the only aftermarket parts the car/engine has everything else is stock. On the budget i was thinking around 2-3 grand. Thanks for the help

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3 Posts
It dosnt matter what you do to your mustang, you still wont be able to beat my Trans Am. But i guess if you dont want to loose so bad next time go with one of the combos i sent you.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
it dosnt matter what you do to your mustang, you still wont be able to beat my trans am. But i guess if you dont want to loose so bad next time go with one of the combos i sent you.
wtf.

·
Registered
3 Posts
LOL im the OP freind. Im helping him put together a package for his car. We race ocasionaly so i poke fun at him once in a while.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
LOL. OK then, since you know the situation - what kind of power or ET will he need to put you away? Then we can get him squared-away properly.
;)
David

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well im pretty sure his hp output is higher than mine, the issue i think is tq. I always get the jump ahead of him on a dig but from a roll race he has the edge. Im at about 380tq at about 2k rpm. I think a edelbrock heads and cam package would be a good starting point.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol just saw this, so any ford guy wanna give me some advice on what i should get to easily smoke this guys trans am?

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Well im pretty sure his hp output is higher than mine, the issue i think is tq. I always get the jump ahead of him on a dig but from a roll race he has the edge. Im at about 380tq at about 2k rpm. I think a edelbrock heads and cam package would be a good starting point.
you got the edge out of the hole.

thats what he needs

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
lol just saw this, so any ford guy wanna give me some advice on what i should get to easily smoke this guys trans am?
see above post , said he beats you at the start.

what trans? if auto the tq/cov stall plus rear gear ratio

or are you up in smoke?

not always just engine for the win

1 - 13 of 13 Posts