Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just trying to make sure that i hooked the starter up correctly. i have ONE power wire coming off one of the big ports on the starter solenoid going to the starter post. that is the only wire i have hooked up to that post.

i am then assuming that when the c4 trans was in there that the starter was grounded to the bellhousing simply by the bolts holding them together. i have switched to a fmx trans though with a aluminum bellhousing and im pretty sure you cant ground to aluminum. so i ran a ground cable from the block to the bolt that holds the starter to the bellhousing.

is that correct and all that is needed to wire the starter?

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
just trying to make sure that i hooked the starter up correctly. i have ONE power wire coming off one of the big ports on the starter solenoid going to the starter post. that is the only wire i have hooked up to that post.

i am then assuming that when the c4 trans was in there that the starter was grounded to the bellhousing simply by the bolts holding them together. i have switched to a fmx trans though with a aluminum bellhousing and im pretty sure you cant ground to aluminum. so i ran a ground cable from the block to the bolt that holds the starter to the bellhousing.

is that correct and all that is needed to wire the starter?
YOUR SURE !!!
don't be sure

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha ok thank you. and did i do right with grounding it?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea all the grounds are there. but ok thank you. ill just leave the ground on there for now since its not hurting anything

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
One Wire + to the starter. The Ground wire to the bolt is NOT necessary. The ground in the aluminum is 100% OK.

The block and firewall and frame should all be tied in to each other anyway.
FE , you just told a few they don't know what they are talking about .

that I'm SURE of

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i wasnt sure that i did it right. thats why i made the post. for someone to correct me if i was wrong

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
If you want to be annal and stir it up, typical Ford starters do not use a solenoid. The thingy on the inner fender is a relay.

Someone call the dictionary!

so·le·noid [soh-luh-noid, sol-uh-]

noun 1. Electricity . an electric conductor wound as a helix with small pitch, or as two or more coaxial helices, so that current through the conductor establishes a magnetic field within the conductor.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
from now on it will be known only as a Solenoid Relay Switch

rhat should keep everbody happy .

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dan even though you irritate the **** out of me sometimes because i dont know wtf you are talking about ever. can you please go look at my newest thread issue in this same section and give it a whirl?

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
from now on it will be known only as a Solenoid Relay Switch

rhat should keep everbody happy .
LOL Yeah, I call it a "fender-mounted relay (solenoid) to cover the bases here. Though Ford calls it a relay, most know it as a solenoid by the GM nomenclature used on their starter designs. Another of the GM "posi" or "Tri-Power" type terminology invasions. In our tech manual-writing biz, we call the solenoid-operated electrical switches "relays", and the term "solenoid" is reserved for hydraulics, such as a shift solenoid. We also write to our audience, so it's whatever they will recognize, even if we then redefine it in the manual for them. ;)

David

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Ford Parts & Accessory Text Catalog
base part # 11450 -- switch - starter motor relay
Ah, I see you have proof that Ford has product names which don't mention what the parts within the device itself actually are!

Ford calls it this for the same reason it doesn't name every car "The Ford Car! Get yours today! And our newly released model, the Car! And our new line of utility vehicles, the SUV, the SUV, and the biggest of them all, the SUV!"

Effectively, sure, if you want to buy one, ask for the "starter motor relay" and you'll get it. But it's a solenoid, and them's true facts as much as my old Ford Car is blue.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Ah, I see you have proof that Ford has product names which don't mention what the parts within the device itself actually are!

Ford calls it this for the same reason it doesn't name every car "The Ford Car! Get yours today! And our newly released model, the Car! And our new line of utility vehicles, the SUV, the SUV, and the biggest of them all, the SUV!"

Effectively, sure, if you want to buy one, ask for the "starter motor relay" and you'll get it. But it's a solenoid, and them's true facts as much as my old Ford Car is blue.
the new name is accurate.. Solenoid Relay Switch
Soleniod .... how its activated
Relay.........job function ...(light load to a heavy one)
Switch......on or off

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
yes, it is a one wire affair. Dan is just being less than helpful as usual
hey , how was this post helpful ?

question was for grounding , iron vs aluminum . OP knows its one wire

you ever helpful redtail ?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts