Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO today im going to try and install a Mallory distributor part# 4755301 just hoping someone can give me some tips . I was told you have to watch the shaft from the oil pump some times they come out when removing the old distributor also not sure if I have to a run a ballast resister . im still running a generator will this work ok with the Mallory or is it time to switch to a alternator .

·
Registered
453 Posts
you still need the balast resistor if it is a points system. the distributor doesn't use enough power to care what charging system you have.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
The pump shaft -should- have a retaining ring installed preventing it from pulling out. If it's install properly then it shouldn't pull out. If it doesn't have one or it's shifted, then it could pull up and , worst case, drop into your pan.

After your remove the distributor, look down and you should see the coned end of the shaft in the bottom of the hole. That cone helps guide it back into the distributor. It will be leaning to the side, that's fine. If it's sicking up out of the hole then it has come out. If you happen to have a priming tool you can check by priming the pump but I have done that with small sockets on extensions too.

-Shawn

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys old distributor came right out the shaft stayed in put the new Mallory in just a little tight working around that expansion tank for the rad
but its in . So i got a new old stock mopar ballast resistor I was going to use do you think that will work?

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
If you're wiring like Figure 1 of the instructions , the "IGNITION BALLAST RESISTOR PN 8214" is .8 ohms. If you have a multimeter, then you can measure yours and if it's around .8 then my opinion is that it's usable. It's used as a 'load' resistor to prevent full voltage at the coil.

Like extech was saying, electronic modules don't always call for one. You will burn up a coil if you don't use one in the right scenario. Since the manual is showing a resistor in every diagram, use one.

I burned up a coil not using a ballast resistor and replaced it with the same coil, except that it was a 1.2 ohm version after realizing there is some math to it.

-Shawn

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Shawn ya I'm using figure 1 wiring diagram I don't have a multimeter here but I will take it to work and check it tomorrow I guess I will finish it tomorrow night thanks so much for your help I will let you know how I make out Peter

1 - 8 of 8 Posts