Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tell you one thing you got to love this Old School Restore hobby if not then forget but I love it :)

I was jacking my car up cause I got a broke manifold stud on number 8 bottom side (will do a new post on that later) and I use woods on my jack to level it out a lil and I jack from that middle area cause I can go up one time for both sides ( I dont know the name of that area, the big flat metal area right behind the oil pan see pic.)

Anyway after many times of jacking some strange reason the wood cracked and popped back on the oil pan. So there is a dent and of course I can replace it but I know its a PITA so according to the pic do you guys think it needs replacing?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
It looks like you will have trouble getting a full pan drain the way it is.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I tell you one thing you got to love this Old School Restore hobby if not then forget but I love it :)

I was jacking my car up cause I got a broke manifold stud on number 8 bottom side (will do a new post on that later) and I use woods on my jack to level it out a lil and I jack from that middle area cause I can go up one time for both sides ( I dont know the name of that area, the big flat metal area right behind the oil pan see pic.)

Anyway after many times of jacking some strange reason the wood cracked and popped back on the oil pan. So there is a dent and of course I can replace it but I know its a PITA so according to the pic do you guys think it needs replacing?
You do not need to replace but you do need to remove the pan and knock it out......sorry,

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok excellent point I will do a test drain and make sure I get all the quarts out that I have in there also I was given good advice (thanks Tom)to check and see if pump and pick up is working by removing oil sensor switch above filter have someone crank it and hopefully I get a mess of oil coming out

I Will update after I get manifold stud out and start engine again.
It looks like you will have trouble getting a full pan drain the way it is.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
You do not need to replace but you do need to remove the pan and knock it out......sorry,

How come? Dent looks innocuous to me. I would say check for oil pressure and leaks, then leave it be.

·
Registered
841 Posts
It should be replaced but it doesn't need to be. Its not going to effect the oil pick up where its dented and the amount of oil remaining on after pulling the drain plug will be inconsequential. It isn't pretty though. As long as its not leaking, and knowing how hard it is to find a good mechanic where you are, I'd say leave it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I did a similar thing on my 66 many years ago...put a huge dent in the pan. Ran it many years with no issues but finally replaced it.

·
Registered
653 Posts
The only real issue would be if the pump pickup were cracked or knocked loose. Otherwise it's more of a 'fix it when you get the chance' kind of thing.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate all the answers I guess one thing I would like to know what are the general steps to remove it if I do decide to do that. I guess what makes this job such a PITA?
The only real issue would be if the pump pickup were cracked or knocked loose. Otherwise it's more of a 'fix it when you get the chance' kind of thing.

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
+1, the pickup sits low, good chance its at least a little damaged... might check motor mounts also, the old ford mounts are just bonded rubber and separate easy enough over time, would say there was quite a bit of pressure applied there... ive seen a few worse that seemed fine- offroaded my tranny pan once though, it didnt look bad at all, maybe 1/4", but it messed up the filter enough it wouldnt shift right.

personally, summers almost over, I would consider pulling the engine out rather than replacing pan in the car, heck of a lot easier to get everything in, fix the exh stud, replace the mounts, and spend a day cleaning/detailing the engine and underhood...lot of extra work, yeah, but imo might be easier.
I only changed one pan 'in car' before, it was a royal pain, had to take so much stuff off to get enough clearance we were probably less than a hours work from pulling the whole thing anyways- then trying to squeeze the pan in, hold the end seals in without knocking them off as oil keeps dripping and youre squeezing the pan in over the crossmember... dont think i'd ever do it again, besides, opportunity to spiff up the engine when out of the car is nice :)

Tim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts