Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking that this topic could be a good one at Fordmuscle.

It's in no way intended in offend anybody here.

Do you think the Federal Government should set age limits to have a driver liscense re-test?

Lets face the facts.

There are alot of older drivers that have been on the road for 50-60 years or more.

And in that time their motor skills have deminished since the days when they drove their new 1925 Ford off the dealers lot.

I see all sorts of old folks around here driving very dangerous!

I think the re-test could definatly save some lives by keeping drivers off the roads that don't have the skills it takes to drive anymore.

I saw a TV Show about this subject a while back that said Florida has a high rate of accidents with elderly drivers.

The show stated that Florida was thinking of the re-test system but,most of people who vote in Florida are the old people so it would never be voted in.

My Mom always says that the young kids around here (ricers) driver worse that the old people do?

I told her that she is right about the ricer a-hole kids driving like crap but,the difference is the young kids know when they are doing something wrong and the old people have'nt the slightest clue!

What your take on this?

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I think its a good idea,we have this law here in Canada but I can't remember what age you have to be tested at,I think its 80 years old.I have seen some very scary old folks driving habits and the law is for their safety as well as everyone elses.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Im all for it too. My father in law finally took the keys off his folks, and the roads are abit safer. Soon as they hit 70 or so they should go in every 2 years for some reaction/memory test. No offence meant but soon as they hit 80, they should be off the road, period, take a bus or something.

Rick

·
Registered
749 Posts
valid points

Let me throw this into it
Who is gonna provide for these people now that they possibly can not get to the store for food,toiletries,household goods, clothing items, mail(for those who do not have home delivered mail)...etc...etc. I agree that as WE get older we lose hand eye cordination,dept Perception,short term memory, and reflex's not to mention quick and correct decision making. I see this in my 64 yr old father and 63 year old mother already. Even though some skills are deminished somewhat they can still safely drive a car....but not as good as they once could. The key is what kind of test should it be? Here's one more thing...the skill it takes to drive in big cities is much different then what it take to drive to the store and back in a small town of say 1000 people with no stop lights and little to no traffic to speak of

just my .02 added

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
There are 2 ides to this issue, but I think testing is enough we need not take all licenses. We have a guy here that's in his 70's & still manages to race a 8 second 'Vette... & win! There are exceptions to every rule. As for my mother, I'll care for her, I'm the oldest, it's my responsibility. Anyone else going to feel the same? I think so!

·
Registered
170 Posts
What I would like to see is a rating system for each driver and this could be done with colored plates and or different symbols. My grandmother would be rated for her town only to get to the store, Dr., etc. I on the other hand would be able to drive my Maxima at 80mph without a problem. I usually don't worry about myself, its the idiot who can't drive that causes the problems. I have a problem with having to drive 55 on roads that were designed in the 50's using the automotive technology of the 40's. Hell my grandfather could drive faster with drum brakes then I can now with 4 wheel discs and ABS. I live in a farm state where every law is based on the old farmer crawling around looking at his neighbors fields. I worry less about the young kids then I do the old fossils.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are lots of good points being talked about here.

I think that "age" by itself does'nt make you a bad driver?

But,I think with age your body does start to show certain areas where driving skills could be below what's needed.

I guess maybe the re-test would show the results if the driver still had what it took yet?

It is almost impossible for me to think about not being able to drive!

I know it would "cut off" alot of people from what they need to do everyday but,if they are a certain danger I can see it for sure.

I got this idea for this topic from a guy I work with.

He was telling me about his grandmother who is 76 years old and goes out for drives and can't remember where she has been!

He was asking me if there are any laws in place to petition to have her driver permit taken away?

He was really concerned about here getting hurt or hurting some one else while driving.

I told him I di'nt know of any laws in place for that can take away a driver permit in a case like his?

He thought he heard about a law that let's the family "petition" to have their family members permit taken away?

Could be?

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
I agree with Chilly. We (especially me) should drive Greg Cook around at Woodward in his '63 so he doesn't hurt somebody or cause an accident from his slow reflexes and poor eye sight

·
Registered
15 Posts
although its true older drivers drive slower, therefore they have more reaction time, this is not what scares the piss outta me. I cant tell you how many time elderly drivers ahd suddenly switchedl lanes, almost clipping my front quaterpannel cuz they move in between lanes wihtout looking or even signaling! ad this to then puling out right im front of me (have locked brakes up at least twice before trying to aviod an accident, one time i still ended up having to get a new bumper and front valence)

of corse usualy elderly people drive the grandpaw mobiles, and i have learned to aviod them like the plauge.

really i think they are dangerous, but is something that even if they get there licences take away i would make a bet they would still drive anyway, at that age people get a little cynical.

i hopw that made sence, my brain is fried from studying

·
Registered
148 Posts
There is no doubt in my mind that elderly people should be regularly retested and not just the written and eye test but the driving test as well.
Any of you guys that live in the Phoenix area and have driven in or around Sun City will back me up when I say that there are a lot of seniors that need to have their permits yanked and none to soon. I realize that it would be a hardship on many of them as far as their nessesities go (doctor, groceries, etc.) especially in a small town where there is no public transportation. I don't have an answer for that but wouldnt it be better to work that out than have a half senile driver run over some kid or anyone for that matter. This happens on a regular basis here.
However, not all seniors are poor or even marginal drivers. My boss is 65 and still roadraces his Mustang on occasion, and is building a 427 Cobra on his old roadrace chassis. I would have no problem riding with him at any speed because I know he is fully capable of handling a car at speed, and he is not the only older individual I know that is still sharp enough to drive. There are a lot of younger drivers that should be relegated to bus transportation before these people.
In closing (get that windy turkey off!)I'll tell you that I am 51, diabetic and have some health problems, I still bracket race and drive about 20 thou miles a year. But I hope that when the time comes that I can't safely handle a vehicle someone will have the good sence to keep me from behind the wheel.

·
Registered
166 Posts
personally, i think ALL drivers should be regularly tested. most of the worst drivers i've seen are middle-aged. anyway, just my thoughts on it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
amen,amen. 60 years old, every year after that, i've seen my parents drive. get your licence at 18

·
Registered
749 Posts
I have two teenage daughters and have been around this age group of drivers for several years now. They by virture of no experience whatsoever are the worst drivers hands down. But that is to be expected since experience is the best absolute teacher. Attitude for new drivers is huge...the most dangerous driver on the road is the teenager who just started driving and thinks he knows it all already. As a parent I did my best to teach them all I could...insisted they take drivers education and took the time to personally ride with them and still do. Before we toss all the older people with skills that are diminshing we must first address how these people in a transportation society will get transportation. Remember driving is a privledge not a right.

·
Registered
166 Posts
qtrhors:
i compleatly disagree with you, based on the drivers i see every day. young drivers are in experinced, old drivers reflexes are slow. why is it then that the worst drivers are middle aged? honestly i have to say this. young drivers usally obey most laws, (trun signals, check blind spots,) and generaly do there best to drive safely. older drivers usally know they not in the best shape, and also use caution when driving. most middle aged drivers, even though the should be at the best, disobey all kinds of laws, and drive carelessly. not signaling on turns, merging into other cars, making freeway trafic slow to let them in, speeding, weveing in trafic, the list goes on, anyway...

·
Registered
749 Posts
From the National Safety Council.

"Crashes are the leading cause of death for teenagers - in some years the fatal involvement rate for teen drivers is three times higher than the overall rate. Statistically, teens make up less than 7% of the nation's licensed drivers, but they're involved in 15% of all fatal crashes."

"Young drivers are involved in fatal traffic crashes at over twice the rate as the rest of the population.
Exceding the posted speed limit or driving at an unsafe speed is the most common error in fatal accidents."

" Since inexperience is a leading factor in traffic crashes involving youth, graduated licensing makes good sense. This licensing system ensures that young drivers accumulate driving experience under controlled circumstances. Graduated licensing includes three steps: Learner, Provisional (Intermediate), and Full Licensure. Each of these steps include certain restrictions tied to the permit. Restrictions address things such as: the use of alcohol (zero tolerance), nighttime driving, all occupants must wear safety belts, permit holder must remain crash and conviction free for a certain amount of time, etc...
Currently, 39 states and the District of Columbia have implemented graduated driver licensing. "

There is more but you get the picture. There's a reason teen drivers are the most expensive to insure...just ask any of us what adding teen drivers to your insurance rates does.

Just the facts.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hum??????????

No I'm kinda caught in the middle between what QTRHORS and Ghettostang are talking about?

I can see both points and I have seen alot of young kids driving very wild and stupid latley?

I think the old people drive less than the young kids do so I'm more exposed to younger bad drivers than old ones?

I know what QTRHORS says about insurance rates for teen drivers is true for sure!

I kinda even think that the teen drivers are getting worse than the ones from my generation were (I'm 33 years old).

I see lots of speed racer rice racer kids flying around the streets like it's a damn SCCA event race!

It really pisses me off to see these little ricer pukes driving like this on the streets!

I figure my only defense is to drive a safe vehical?

I drive a 95 F-350 Super-Cab Dually so if I tangle with some little F-Wad in a Honda I wont really have to worry!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts