Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have narrowed down my engine build to be a very mild 289 with good torque since this will be a street car only. 64 Fairlane 4 door 3.00 gears, C4.

Pretty sure I will stick with the "J code" heads I picked up, C8OE-F from a 68 Cougar 302 4V.

Cam: Either Comp XE250H or (more likely) XE256H.

Carb: Probably a Performer 600 also considering a Road Demon Jr. 525.

289 HiPo Manifolds, duals with H pipe.

Would this combo work best with a Performer, Performer RPM, or Stealth Manifold?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Edelbrock makes or used to make a Performer 289 in addition to the Perfromer and Performer RPM, I've always heard they work best with the 289 mild build, smaller volume runners to keep the velocity up = good low end power. You can pick them up used pretty cheap especially on that online auction site.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That might work well for me, especially with the smaller of the two cams.

What do you think about carb selection?
Performer 600?
Road Demon Jr. 525?
or maybe the Performer 500?

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
600 performer and a RPM would be my selection. The Carb is simple and easy to tune and the RPM is a great power producer at low and high Rpm.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I'd go with either the performer or the performer rpm.I have a J-code mustang and the engine was very torquey in stock form.The stock ford carb was only a 480cfm..I'd strongly recommend some headers as the fords are weak on the exhaust side.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
The Performer is a good intake, and torquey if you're not revving beyond 5-5500 RPM. Its a great mild intake. My buddy's running one on a stock long block, tri-y headers and an Edelbrock 500 carb, its got more oomph than most people expect.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With the C8OE heads and small cam, am I good enough with the stock rocker arms or would I see a benefit by using something like the Comp Magnums?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
you'll always have a small benefit using rollers instead of stamped rockers, but its not necessary for a small cam.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I am running World Product Windsor Jr. Heads (mild port and polish) Performer intake and cam, Scorpion Roller Rockers, Holley 670 Street Avenger carb, with DUI dist. and headers. Seems to make good power, but never had it on the dyno. Overall I am real happy with the combo.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: psivory on 5/4/06 8:00am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Eddy performer, 600 carb, and headers. The headers will give you extra low end torque. They're not just for high rpm.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I would go with a set of the comp cams roller tipped rockers.Get the ones that are self aligning and you won't need guideplates.I've always found the stock ford rail rockers tend to chew up the valvestems..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts