Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, Just converted from old stock choke (wouldn't work due to headers and no connection for the stove pipe). Went with a manual choke kit from auto zone. Dorman Kit. Works fine for closing the choke but can not get it to come back fully open. Anybody else done this conversion or having these issues? What would be a good replacement carb? How does an electric choke work? Please reply. 64 futura hardtop, 289, ford-o-matic. Thanks.

·
Subscriber
546 Posts
electric chokes work off a switched 12v source. it takes them about 45-60 seconds to open up.
i'm running an electric choke on my Galaxie, no issues.
I'm running the old stove-type choke on my F100 with headers...also no issues. just get the stove pipe as close to a header tube as possible.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THANKS cuthrell, I went ahead and finished the manual choke. Had to rig up a spring to get the choke to come all the way back open but all in all a pretty good set up. If and when I upgrade to a new Carb I will take your advice on the electric choke. I have a switched, 12v source run and ready to be used. As a side bar......Since installing the wrong turn signal cancel switch, I had to re-adjust the neutral safety switch which is still in the column. My car has been converted from column shift to a B&M floor shift. (2 speed ford - o - matic). The safety switch is still in the steering column and causing some problems. Got the correct turn cancel switch coming and all should be good in that regards. Any ideas on securing the shifter collar on the column will be appreciated. Also advice on installing a safety switch and also back up light switch on the B&M shifter will be appreciated.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again cuthrell!!! advice well taken. Got the car running and all is good now. Aint gonna dig too deep just yet. Got a car show/fund raiser event in a couple weeks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts