Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm a little bit sick of my 5 turn LTL sloppy manual steering box, and It doesnt look like theres anything in the aftermarket (thats under 1,000 bucks anyways) that can satisfy my needs. Now, my question is, Is there any disadvantage to using a power steering box w/o the power assist. Are the pitman arms the same? are power boxes any harder to turn besides the 16:1 ratio?

My REAL question is....Are the Power/Manual steering boxes identical save for the 20:1 v. 16:1 ratio?

Any help or input about the power steering boxes or the options available would be GREAT! Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1968...As I understand it 68-71 torinos/montegos are all the same. As well as a few other cars...

·
Registered
126 Posts
i have a 69 torino and all i can really tell you is the steering box is not that common with other fords of that era i think the torino's montego's are the same but thats about it . as far as i know as far as manuel or power they are the same just with or with out the power assist . mine is if i remember right has the smb-a tag hope this helps a little

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. Yeah, unfortunately we're blessed with one of the worst power steering system out there, and its not worth it to even bother trying to put in a stock system. It kinda sucks because I have basically no budget freindly options. All I'm trying to find out now is if I can get a power steering box with no assist so I dont feel like im driving a yacht...

·
Registered
908 Posts
You can use an SMA-B power steering box. It is 16:1 and will fit right in where the manual box was.

I am using an SMA-B box on my m/s '71 Torino. It's an arm workout at low speeds, but road feel is good.

Greg

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
What about someone line AGR? I thought they have a bunch of boxes around $500 to $600? An alternative, can you get it rebuilt by some place like AGR and get it modified with new internals?
I have been watching powerblock on SPIKE {old TNN} netwrok, and on Muscle Car and I thought Trucks they have used their boxes...I saw last one on Muscle Car for $599 for the Challenger restomod.
I have talked with a few guys on the 72-76 stuff, and for us an option is a 1971 Boss mustang SPAT box, 3 turns lock to lock.
I believe it's a signaw unit, but I am fuzzy.
My 72 was a special order oddball, and it had a factory 3 turn lock to lock box, where as most are 4 turns for a power box.
Worse case...look at a sprint car catalog, in the hobby stock stuff...maybe you can convert to a rack and pinion setup for a track car?
Just a thought.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I am working on a project that would allow the installation of an SPA-T Mustang integral quick ratio box into a 70/71 Torino.

Hoping to make some headway on this soon, after this season's racing is over and I have the engine and tranny out of my car for freshening.

My opinion is that the integral box is superior to the adapted rack and pinion systems, both in terms of price and performance.

Greg

·
Registered
908 Posts
Forgot to mention that Mercury Comets and Ford Mavericks with p/s use the 16:1 SMA-B box. It is exactly the same box as a p/s Torino or Montego. Shouldn't me too hard to find...

Greg

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info on the non-power box, I also thought about doing the integrated box. Keep us posted on the details....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts