Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am developing my plans for my upcoming project (69-70 ford xl fastback)with a few things in mind. I want to go to a manual transmission, how hard is that? I know that 4 speed was rare but I am wondering what it takes to switch a car over. I currently have a 351W but am looking at a few cars to buy one with a 390 and another with a 429. I have heard the 351W is a easy one to switch to manual, but any ideas on the 390 or 429? Eventually I want a 429/460 engine car with a manual trans for stoplight to stoplight fun that goes to the drag strip a few time a year.

thanks!

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
I'd think using a hydraulic linkage would make the swap easier, so finding the pedal assembly might be the toughest part. I'd vote for the 429 and six speed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I really do not think the choice of engines will matter in the least. Just about a year and a half ago I bought a rebuilt 4 speed top loader wide ratio off EBAY and it was setup for a 390 (had the long nose input shaft) it originally came out of a 390 Mustang, but I was putting it in a 302 Maverick and the guy I bought it from swapped the input shaft and shipped it and it is behind a 302 in a Maverick right now with a Hurst shifter and doing quite well. As long as you get all the linkages off the donor car and stick with the same transmission you can put whater engine you want in the car with the correct bell housing and input shaft.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
We are working on this swap in our 69, If trying to go stock the toughest parts to find are the pedal and z-bar linkage. the transmission need to be the longer tail stock with the shifter mounted all the way at the rear. I could get you pictures of parts if you need. Start looking for a pedal now, it took almost 8 months to find ours. Expect the pedal to be kinda pricey. Only a pedal from a 69-70 ford big car will work. We found a non power brake peday set and had to convert the brake pedal by adding a post for power brakes.

·
Registered
960 Posts
If you go with a 429 the bellhousing will be expensive and hard to find using the original clutch linkage,a 351 or 390 would be the easiest and cheapest to convert to a manual trans.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts