Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks, I found that I can not make the clutch master line stay retained in the slave cylinder. I just keeps popping out.
I tried changing the locking fingers with those from my old slave assy.

So I can not depress the clutch
No I did not try the fit of the clutch disk to the input spine, I did use the lube provided and did center it on the pilot bearing with the alignment tool - and the tool came out easily.

I do not have the drive shaft yoke in yet - but could put it in to see if turning will help. I tried turning the engine slightly - but it can not be turned freely like the tranny.

Any experience with a new slave that will not retain an original hose?
That will become a problem if I install the transmission.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re: 99 Ranger clutch slave hose problem

I did change the pilot bearing - used the old one to drive it in so it should not be mushroomed since the bushing does not bottom out.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
If you put the yoke in and the tranny is in a gear, you can feel if the input shaft splines have passed engaged the clutch disk. If it spins freely, then the disk maybe the problem. Either fit or alignment would be suspect. If it is engaged (and the throwout bearing/fork isn't stopping the tranny from going forward), then I would suspect pilot bearing issues. Again either fit or alignment. Whatever you do, don't use the tranny bolts to draw up the tranny to the bellhousing. Not saying you would, but don't let that cross you mind. Sorry, I have little-to-no hands-on experience with hydraulic clutches so no help here.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
If you put the yoke in and the tranny is in a gear, you can feel if the input shaft splines have passed engaged the clutch disk. If it spins freely, then the disk maybe the problem. Either fit or alignment would be suspect. If it is engaged (and the throwout bearing/fork isn't stopping the tranny from going forward), then I would suspect pilot bearing issues. Again either fit or alignment.

Whatever you do, don't use the tranny bolts to draw up the tranny to the bellhousing. Not saying you would, but don't let that cross you mind.

Sorry, I am rusty with hydraulic clutches so no help here.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
It sounds like you have an alignment problem with the clutch disc..You need to somehow get that clutch depressed while doing some wiggling and applying inward pressure on the trans....If you can't do it with a bar or something you will have to pull the trans back and start over after realigning the clutch...I have had problems using the plastic input shafts that come with the clutch kits..The last two I have done I needed to release the clutch disc to get the trans in..

·
Registered
5 Posts
I will need to pull it out to change the new clutch slave out.
It is hanging on two long sawed off bolts and resting on 4x6s at the rear crossmember.
The yoke can not turn the transmission (in 4th gear) so it is going through the clutch disk.

Thanks for the feedback.
Jim

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Yes it is easy to get the shaft started into the clutch disc..The problem is if the disc isn't perfectly centered on the flywheel the input shaft will not start into the pilot bearing(that last 3/4 of an inch you need to be seated)..If you can release the pressure off of the disc somehow it will center itself and the shaft will slide right in..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tada !
I found the problem with my clutch line not staying in the slave assy - the o-ring was too big. The Xxxxlast Clutch kit came with the wrong size o-ring, the o-ring from the clutch slave had the correct size.
I figured that out by removing the o-ring- then the hydrolic line locked on.

BTW I put the drive shaft in last night and it would not spin (trans in 4th)
Raised up the transmission (after lowering the rear end) and it pushed right on.

Thanks dennis and frdnut
Jim

Now I have to figure out how to open the clutch master cylinder to add fluid. one thing after another. 99 Ranger has the master cylinder between the electrical box and the fender - appears to be a threaded top.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts