Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent some time looking for any archived info and was unluckey. I have a set of lincoln Mark V spindles that I got for free, I would like to them but dont want to change the bolt set of the wheels. Could I use a rotor with a 5x4.5 set on the lincoln spindles, and what car should I get the rotors from?

I know I can use a MC off a fullsized 81-87 ford for manual brakes, but could I bolt the master to my stock 64 booster and use it in a power application?

Joe

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
After 1970 almost all Ford cars used the same wheel bearings for most of the decade so you could swap rotors. The problem you will have is that the caliper will sit out farther on the spindles for the larger brakes so you may have to test to make sure the pads actually still sweep the rotor properly. I'm not 100% sure but '77 to '79 T bird/Cougars may have had an optional larger rotor size but I don't recall if it was 5 on 4.5" or 5 on 5"

As for the MC as long as it bolts on and the booster push rod is long enough or can be adjusted properly then I don't se why not

Stu

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have a auto interchange systems book but it is only from 63-74. I think the 11 1316'' rotor would work or what cars used them.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Not 100% on this but I think the rotor you need is from the 72 thunderbird. It's the big rotor with the small bolt pattern. If you go with the smaller rotor you will need to change the caliper bracket to match. There are some long threads on brakes and more info is in them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would like to find a set of the 72 tbird/Torino spindles but that style was only used in 72-73 and the only ones that can use those rotors. I have a set of mark V spindles that are the same part as the montego part. 74-76 montego looks like it has the same inner and outer wheel bearings and also uses the 11 13/16 rotor. it shows late 74 mercurey calipers are the same as 74-79 tbird, lincoln 74-79 and so on. I looked at the calipers and the mount direct to the spindles with no brackets, I think I can just swap the rotor and be good to go. if iam wrong someone correct me please .

Joe

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont have a Requires Subscription so I cant get the rest of the info and i think for that system i think you need 72-73 spindles only.

·
Registered
54 Posts
72 73 small bearing intermediate spindals is what you need to run 11" 13/16 72 T-bird rotors with a 5-4.5 boltpatern. you will need the caliper brackets from either the tbird or a later year lincoln that uses the 11"13/16 rotor. calipers are the same and the brackets fits perfect

74 and later intermediate spindal bearings are bigger and the 11'13/16 rotors for these spindals has 5on5" boltpatern only

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tony thank you for the help I will try to find a set of the 72-73 spindles, if not I will just run the lincoln 5on5" rotors. Some where with all the numbers in the nterchange book my mind got a little twisted. I will run diffrent bolt set front to back but then that will give more mtivation to put the lincoln disc rear on the car

·
Registered
54 Posts
if its easier for you to come up with the lincoln parts, dont be scared to redrill the lincoln rotors to 5 on 4.5! other than accuracy theres not much to worry about

AUTOZONE'S RETAIL 72 T-BIRD ROTORS 11"13/16 110.00 EACH
76 LICOLN ROTORS 11"13/16 41.00 EACH

I got the t-bird stuff under mine now but I got a pair of 74 big bearing spindals sitting on the shelf for the next time I need to replace rotors

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tonyD on 10/19/06 7:51pm ]</font>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts