Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanting to convert from my clutch fan to an electric fan setup. My 460 is pretty mild and sees extended cruising at 2400rpm with the AC on. It gets up and over 100*F here in Kansas during the summers and I don't want any overheating problems. I don't have any issues with my clutch fan other than it sucks power like crazy and is noisy. The big Linc uses an 18" electric rated at 40 amp draw
. I don't know how fast it spins or what kind of air it moves. However, I'm thinking a 300 horse modular with all kinds of sh!t in the engine compartment is probably similar to my 460 with AC, alternator, and power steering. Oh yea, I can get this fan fairly cheap and in good condition, that's why I'm asking.

Here's the bottom line. Is it enough fan? Do I need to go with an aftermarket dual fan setup instead?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
A 460 combo makes a lot of heat. From what I've read, that fan is probably up to the task, especially if you're able to use the shroud assy with it. That fan is actually more powerful than 95% of the aftermarket crap I've seen. The CFM's are in the 3K range versus 2to 2.5K for the double fan assys. Try it and if it doesn't work for you, let me know and I may be interested in buying it from you for the comet. It'll probably be sufficient for my 331.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
3K is a good amount of air. I may be able to get by. It is complete and the shroud is intact. My next question is this. Do I center the fan in the radiator and try to seal the edges? OR, do I leave 2-3" open on the sides? I could build some sheet metal extensions to totally seal the fan if necessary.

I know this has been asked before, but I can't ever remember finding an answer.
What does a factory 7 blade clutch fan move? Anybody with a half-assed guestimate??? I'm curious over here!

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
The better shrouding you have, the more efficient the fan's going to be, so seal it as much as you can. I'm not sure how much a stock fan pulls, but the 4.6 engine with all the power accesories and heat it generates through emissions regs is probably equivalent to a 460, if not more.

·
Subscriber
329 Posts
The setup you're working on is what I have in my 71 Mustang. I have an Howe aluminum radiator the size of the shroud so I didn't have that issue, but it works well. I have a Hayden thermostatic controller modula which uses a relay for the high amp circuit. It switches on and off with a temp sender in the return line. Two things: have a really good charging system as that fan will pull down the battery in a hurry; and no underdrive pulleys, you won't be truning the water pump or alernator fast enough to keep up. Good luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
THe MArk VIII cooled 640hp 460 in the Tucson AZ summer (no AC) the 93 fan pulls close to 5000 CFM at 14+ volts. If it doesnt cool your car, it aint the fans fault. 110 degree ambiant air temps, almost 150 degrees of the asphault in summer. It kept the engine happy, 190 degrees with a RON DAVIS 2 core aluminum radiator,

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kick ass!!! The voice of experience is the one I like to hear. Looks like I need to get an adjustable thermal switch and relay. Thanks everybody for the input. I think all my components are up to snuff, I'll just have to do some fabbing on the brackets. There's no time table on this project so it might be a while before I get it done. When I do though, I'll post on how it performs. Thanks again to everybody!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Do you mean these fans are pullers that hook-up to the back of the radiators?Can you order these thru a Lincoln/Mercury dealership?

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They are factory designed and mounted as pullers I believe. I'm sure your friendly Ford dealer would be happy to get you one. BUT, I've heard the fans cost upwards of $300.
Lincoln stuff is expensive.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks Kim,you`re right.Went to a Lincoln dealer,but the parts guy had no specs.Guys in the shop confirmed it though.It cost 285.An 18in puller 5,000 cfm if thats correct ain`t bad.Look a some of the fan prices in Summits catalog.I`m also looking at Spalfans,heard good things about them.The have oem high performance fans, a 16 inch 2350cfm for $129,or dual 11`s for like $285.I just might with that 18in lincoln.With 7,500 in a my new 466ci,whats another 285.THANKS for the tip Kim.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm just thinking about all those big Lincolns idling around with all the creature comforts on full blast and no overheating issues. Aint broke...don't fix it! Belt turned fans have been around forever and are extremely reliable. If you're dead set on changing to electric, consider updates to the alternator, battery, wiring, relays and sensors.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts