Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Subscriber
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else used the Mass Flo EFI system that FM has done the articles on? First things first... my engine is a 302 out of something from 1985 (casting number is E5AE, but A means Galaxie, which I don't think they made in 1985, unless I'm wrong), and is in a 1968 Mustang. I pulled it, put on AFR 165 heads, 1.7 Scorpion roller rockers, and put it back in.
I put the engine back in, and completed the Mass Flo EFI install following the instructions and using the FM article as a supplement. Guess what? Surprise, surprise, my fuel pump makes a whiny noise, and I get a lot of back firing and knocking above 2500 rpm, just like they have revealed in this last article they published about trying to get the system up and running. I'm at my wit's end, so I thought I'd open it up - maybe your suggestions can help me and FM fix it.
Some info:
- The car starts and idles fine
- I have the timing set at 14 deg BTDC, which seems a bit high to me, but is what the guys at Mass Flo recommended. The car runs better around 10-12 deg BTDC, but I'm trying to follow what Mass-Flo recommended. To be honest, though, I've tried setting the timing all over all different kinds of settings, and nothing works
- I'm using the firing order 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 - is that correct?
- I can get the car out of the driveway, but as soon as I'm in 2nd gear, they engine starts knocking and backfiring all over the place, and each higher gear gets even worse
- When in idle, I can slowly take the car up to higher RPM, but if I try and puch the throttle with any sort of force, it either wants to choke and kill, or sends a huge backfire through the throttle body/air cleaner
- I've tried lowering the electric fuel pump to the same level as the gas tank, as well as taking out the filter element from the pre-filter housing to see if it's not getting enough fuel, but that didn't help.
- I'm running -6AN fuel line and fittings throughout the car, which from everything I've read should be fine; I've heard
-6AN will supply enough for a little past 400 HP, and I'm probably not even near 400, so I think I'm fine with the line I have
- All new ignition components
- Check engine light blinks codes that say the system is okay, which means everything is wired correctly

Like I've said, I'm at my wit's end. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated (especially from any FM staff that reads this - if you could contact me at [email protected] so I could open up some communication with you about this it would be much appreciated as well!). Thanks!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Not positive but shouldnt you be using the 13726548 firing order?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Nevermind, you have the right firing order...sorry

·
Registered
493 Posts
Have you tried moving the fuel pump low enough so it is unmistakably lower than the fuel outlet lines?

It's been my understanding the the fuel pump must be below the fuel outlet lines so that the flow from the tank to the pump is basically 'gravity feed', or your type of problem will occur. I know it doesn't make any sense when that pump is pressurizing the system to about 40psi, but apparently it can't reliably suck fuel uphill out of the tank.

My car cheats a bit on this -the fuel pump is about level with the outlet lines and it has no problems.

I don't have the Mass-Flo yet, and am still using the stock Ford EFI system with a fuel pump hanger from Ron Morris that intentionally hangs the fuel pump as low as possible.

http://www.ronmorrisperformance.com/

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
The Mass Flo should be setup for the 5.0/351 firing order not the 289/302 order.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
The picture on the tech article shows 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Unless Mass Flo rewired the injector harness for the 289/302 firing order it won't run right at higher revs. The EEV IV was an SEFI not a batch fire injection.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I would agree that the late-model 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 has to be used. All the 82-up GT engines use the new firing order.

Try it -- it' can't hurt.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
We're running 13726548 firing order - dont mind the cover picture from Part I, the wires were just laid there, not in order.

·
Registered
64 Posts
What do the guys at Mass-flo say? Anyone give them over there a call?

·
Premium Member
3,954 Posts
You need to match the firing order to the cam, doesnt matter what Massflo says

(I grew up with Chris, even worked with him for a while, he'd better give the same answer LOL)

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
On 2006-08-27 16:39, My427stang wrote:
You need to match the firing order to the cam,
Yes that's true, but you also must match the firing order to the injector pulse order. EEC IV uses the 5.0/351 order so it's gotta match that or you'll need to rewire the injector harness.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
On 2006-08-26 21:34, admin wrote:
We're running 13726548 firing order - dont mind the cover picture from Part I, the wires were just laid there, not in order.
That settles that.

·
Premium Member
3,954 Posts
No doubt 88,
However, just wanted to make sure the guy asking the question, not the FM guys as I understand, have matching components

Injector map and firing order need to match the cam, or cam needs to match the firing order and the map, either way, all have to match, or it isnt going to run right

Do we know what the firing order for the current cam is?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: My427stang on 8/28/06 11:20am ]</font>

·
Subscriber
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey everybody,

Sorry I haven't replied in a bit, I've been without internet for a few days. Thanks for all the help and suggestions. Here's what I've found:

I think it was a combination of a few things to get the car running well, but mainly the wrong firing order. It should have been the 13726548. I had it hooked up with the other firing order because on the old stock Ford intake that I took off when I put on the Mass Flo kit said 15426378, so I assumed that that's what it should have been. I didn't pay attention to the order of the wires when I took off the old wires and distributor, so there's a lesson for next time. So, what I think happened is the last time the engine was rebuilt (10 years ago, says the guy I bought the car from this spring), is that they put that manifold on the engine that had the 1542 firing order cast in it, but didn't have a cam in there that matched that firing order. At first I was afraid of trying it out, because I didn't want to try and fire it up and hear nothing but a million backfires, but I decided what the heck and went for it. The thing fired up and there were no backfires.

Also, I did move the pump down, as I had it above the tank, and after talking with Chris at Mass Flo and with Mallory they both said it was necessary. I also changed to a bigger pre-filter, just like FM did in their article, because I was using a small inline filter like they were at first.

After messing with it over the weekend, the car is running pretty well. I'm not having the RPM problem the FM guys are having, but my engine is running high oil pressure and there is an exhaust leak I'm having problems with, so I've got a little work ahead of me till I think it'll be running perfectly. Also, I think the timing still needs to be adjusted some. Is there a recommended setting for this, or is it just a fly by the seat of the pants kind of deal? Chris said to set it at 14 deg., but that seems like it was a little high. I'm not sure though, and I can't find any guideance on it. Maybe it needs to be set that high for the EFI system? What were those engines originally set at?

So, I'm still not sure how I would have known that I was supposed to use the 1372 firing order, and am confused about the whole H.O., non-H.O., 302/5.0 deal. The block was made in 1985, so I'm not sure where that puts it. Anyone with any info on that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all the help!

·
Premium Member
3,954 Posts
Pull a little timing out of it if you want and try it, it wont hurt a thing

1 - 17 of 17 Posts