Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to get new master cylinder for the disc brakes I recently acquired and I wasn't sure what master cylinder to get. If you could help me out send me a message.
Sincerly,
AL

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
A little more information would help to give you an answer.

1. What year fairlane?
2. Drum or disk rear?
3. Single or dual master cylinder desired? Disregard if you have a 67' or newer Fairlane.
4. Are you installing factory or aftermarket disc brakes?

65' STANG, 3160 lbs

393W NA, 2.78 Toploader 4 Spd, 9" 3:70 Posi
Pro Comp Heads, Vic Jr. Intake, 750dp, 236/561 Solid Cam, 9.6CR, 1 3/4" Headers, Lakewood, Subframes, Caltracs

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dennis111 on 9/24/06 5:58am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dennis111 on 9/24/06 5:58am ]</font>

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
64 Fairlane rear drums. The spindles are a drop spindle I got a 67 mustang that came in for a suspention change. Also what power booster will fit.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
On 2006-09-24 21:59, scvpiper wrote:
64 Fairlane rear drums. The spindles are a drop spindle I got a 67 mustang that came in for a suspention change. Also what power booster will fit.
As far as stock stuff goes, almost all Ford MC's (including trucks and cars through at least through the 1990's will bolt on the 64' firewall. That is a good thing. A 64 Fairlane is not much bigger than a Mustang so I would think that Mustang and Maverick stuff would function OK. So from that, I will give you my opinions.

To install disc brakes, you will need to have separate front and rear brake lines because since they need to use different ports on the MC to function properly. The front disks get T'ed together and use one reservoir and the single rear line gets run to separate reservoir inlet. An adjustable proportioning valve can and probably should be installed in the rear line to help balance the brakes, front to rear.

If you want to use a single reservoir MC, try one from a Disc Brake 65/66 Mustang. It has properly valved inlets for both front and rear brakes--they must be plumbed to the correct inlet.

Dual reservoirs are preferred for safety.

For a dual reservoir MC with front discs AND power brakes, use a MC from a 67 Mustang. A 75 Maverick, so equiped, would work too. There was no manual disc brakes in a 67+ Mustang so if you should go the manual brake route, specify one from a 75 Maverick with manual disc brakes. (This is what I installed in my manual disc brake 65 Mustang.) One reservoir is valved for the disc, and the other is valved for the drums.

As far as power boosters, there you will probably have a problem. Different years bolt on differently. You could try one from a 65/66 Mustang/Comet/Falcon but it will probably require a single reservoir MC because there is limited room between the firewall and the shock tower. You would have the same problem if you found a fairlane booster.

There are aftermarket solutions too, but I am not versed on them and most will require some adaptations on your part.

65' STANG, 3160 lbs

393W NA, 2.78 Toploader 4 Spd, 9" 3:70 Posi
Pro Comp Heads, Vic Jr. Intake, 750dp, 236/561 Solid Cam, 9.6CR, 1 3/4" Headers, Lakewood, Subframes, Caltracs

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dennis111 on 9/25/06 6:46pm ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dennis111 on 9/25/06 7:18pm ]</font>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts