Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i have put the wrong pushrod in my master cylinder.Its brand new and was for a mustang II. I have the mustang II rear end in my Pinto so used the correct master for the manual brakes .
BUT I was lameo and just shoved the pushrod into the master before i thought. Now its about 1.5" or so longer than the pinto one.
I need to get it out and put the new pinto one in.
Its mounted , Painted, plumbed, and bled in the car at the moment and really dont want to pull it apart.
After i filled it with grease to try and get it more slippy I tried prying it out with a 1/2 x 12" ratchet extention against a fulcrum thats 1" away from the hole in the end of the rod. It just laughs at me, even when I put my foot to it.
I cant hammer it out.
Im just hoping that someone out there has managed this before.
I want to get another master but another Raybestos mustang II manual is near $130 plus I have to back order it from the past.
Any thoughts??

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
That clip is pretty serious about holding the rod in. You can try using a slide hammer, but you may have to unmount it and take it to the bench.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
yes bench it, may hve to rip it out...but there is a way..get a ice pick or even slimmer type tool and fit it in the hole where the rod is and poke around for the right place, you are supposed to press the right spot to release the clip...at the same time pulling on the rod so it comes out. but its easier said than done, my parts distributer that does axle bearings and refacing brake drums and rotors did my last one in ten minutes for free. may ask someone to do it saying it came with the wrong length rod. just drain it real good!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts