Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'66 Cyclone GT 390, power drums. Have been looking for a new or rebuilt master cyl for this car. Nothing! Mine (original) still works ok but would like to have a spare.

Any thoughts as to where I should be looking? Have tried some parts houses and classic car businesses, no luck and no suggestions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
We have a standard old wholesale/retail parts house near here which only deals with brakes. I got a replacement M.C. for fellow on other side of city there. They pulled one right off the back shelves. Was a Raybestos brand, that ran nearly $90 but had him going within an hour afterwards. (Until we found a bad front wheel cylinder)

Far as we are concerned, there isn't anything unusual about the M.Cyl. except for the price.

Wm.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lucky a place like that exists. I find lots of MCs, both new and rebuilt (but so far no NOS). They all note: "manual brakes, includes activator rod". My tech thinks maybe they say that because there are no power brake rods available. But of course I already have a rod in the car.

One guy is saying the MCs are the same except for the rod. Will have to check into that.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
My parts book indicates the 64 through 66 era cars to have different master cylinders for Power and non-power applications.

The manual type M.C. has a rod that goes from inside the pistion to the pedal pivot.

The power type M.C. has a rod with adjustable end that comes out the Vacuum booster to push on the piston. If replacing the M.C. only, you usually do not need to remove the booster, and thus your rod stays in place. I think the two types only resemble one another from outside, but have a different piston inside. There may be a way to disassemble the manual style and recut the piston to that as used for power.

Back when, mine was a 1967 with Disk brakes and remember it cost quite a bit to fix the leaky sucker.

Wm.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, coosbay. I'm without any references, could you tell me the part # for the '66 with the power drums? Lots of time coming up this winter for nosing around for parts.

Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I have been obtaining most brake related parts from L&M Friction of Riverside, Calif. They stock Raybestos and other brands, and think nothing special of it.

Have long ago tossed the shipping carton and receipt, for the warrenty only goes about two years. One thing I have been doing for past 10-20 years now is to write down into some little wire bound binder the part number off a receipt of box right after obtaining it. This gives me an idea as to if new part is like old one or not, also helps the counter person for interchange purposes. I see however the Fairlane pages have fallen out, except for the paint codes and air filter numbers.

Just give them a telephone call after 10AM PST at 951-684-5713.

If your old M. Cly. is just loaded with rust pits, there is a local fellow who inserts a S.S. tube down the bore. I have done this on obsolete Falcon parts.

Wm.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Dont go spending a berzillion dollars for something you don't have to ....

Just because they don't list a M/C for all drum power 66 Mercury cyclone, don't mean they won't have a M/C to fit a Capri with drums and a booster... or a 66 Fairlane, or Cusatom 500, or Galaxie fo rhtat matter.... Which in essence are all the same cars as far as engines and accessories go...

FE

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. We have not removed the one on the car, waiting to see if we can come up with another at least as a spare. Current one just does not "feel" right. The rest of the system has been gone over (at least according to invoices furnished with the car). It does have the new parts as are stated.

I have written L&M info in my notes, prolly will be calling.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts