Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got C8AE-H heads on my 390, but would like to replace the intake with a '63 iron 4V. Will the heads and intake match up?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
751 Posts
My source material sez C1AE heads (ones most likely mated to a '63 iron intake) and C8AE-H heads both had 2.34" x 1.34" intake openings. The exhaust is a different story of course.
Sorry I don't have a bevy of heads laying around to actually check for ya, I'm sure someone here does. :)

Hope that helps! Norm

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Norm. That's a big help. Speaking of exhaust ports, though: does anyone know if a set of the early 60's Ford cast iron headers will work with C8AE heads?

·
Registered
419 Posts
No, your C8AE-H heads have the later short intake ports. The CJ heads were the only late head with the taller intake ports like the early heads.

The early intake will still bolt up, but there will be a step going into the head that will hurt performance.

·
Registered
751 Posts
When I researched that query for my '64, I ran across a lot of good stuff written by My427stang, such as this piece from him:

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/galaxie-pages/502246-shorty-headers-c8ae-h-heads.html

I find it easier to just google this stuff (rather than searching within this forum), it generally takes me right to a ton of posts ....mostly on the FE and this forum, and pdq to boot!

Thanks, Norm. That's a big help. Speaking of exhaust ports, though: does anyone know if a set of the early 60's Ford cast iron headers will work with C8AE heads?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Well, sadly ...my FE book evidently has bogus info on those intake port opening comparisons ..... So, besides what has already been posted in your thread, I'd say to check this thread, and again, lotsa great info provided by My427stang about mid-page:

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/all-ford-techboard/479616-390-heads-good-suggestions.html

I've got C8AE-H heads on my 390, but would like to replace the intake with a '63 iron 4V. Will the heads and intake match up?

Thanks in advance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts