Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am currently the proud owner of one of the very last maverick grabbers ever produced...my dad bought this car brand new in 1975...it was one of roughly 5700 grabbers produced that year, and it was the last year for the grabber option...thhis car came with a 302 4 bbl, 3 speed automatic, posi 9 inch rear, buckets black vinyl interior, it was burgundy with flat black grabber striping. i still have this gem in my backyard awaitnig restoration, but lack of a garage is hampering all attempts at this...lol...no matter, it is still in restorable condition, so time will tell...
just figured you guys would like to know about her anyway.

oh yeah shes a one owner wit 4600 miles
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think i made a misprint...i just realizes what i put there...lol
it actually has 46000 miles on it, but still not alot...she has been to CALI and back twice though
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,833 Posts
I hate to tell you this but you have a few misprints. Mavericks never did have a 9" in them or a 302 4V. Even the ealier Grabbers. But that's not to say someone didn't put that stuff in there. Just wasn't Ford.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,055 Posts
On 2007-01-14 05:40, dacofa wrote:
I hate to tell you this but you have a few misprints. Mavericks never did have a 9" in them or a 302 4V. Even the ealier Grabbers. But that's not to say someone didn't put that stuff in there. Just wasn't Ford.
.


I fair to differ. I believe you are mistaken dacofa and might have the Maverick confused with the Pinto. The Grabber was 302 equiped from the factory and I assume would have true muscle car status.

http://www.answers.com/topic/ford-maverick

If you have a Grabber on your hands I would say get on with the restoration, it is a great find.
Ras Daniel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,003 Posts
Iethiopian,
Nope, the Maverick and Comet never came with a four barrel carb - not in the USA and Canada at least. In Brazil and Austrailia it might be different but in North America the Mustang and Cougar got the four speed trannys, four barrel carbs all the Muscle parts.
Paul
edit: if you have the VIN we can decode it for you and tell you what the factory equipped it with.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PaulS1950 on 1/15/07 8:14pm ]</font>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,055 Posts
On 2007-01-15 05:12, PaulS1950 wrote:
Iethiopian,
Nope, the Maverick and Comet never came with a four barrel carb - not in the USA and Canada at least. In Brazil and Austrailia it might be different but in North America the Mustang and Cougar got the four speed trannys, four barrel carbs all the Muscle parts.
Paul
edit: if you have the VIN we can decode it for you and tell you what the factory equipped it with.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PaulS1950 on 1/15/07 8:14pm ]</font>
Hey guys, I'm no Maverick Expert but have been around long enough to know that the Maverick Grabber did in Fact come with a 302 option in late 1970 or early 1971. The question was not whether it had a 4 barrel carb or a 4 speed transmission it was if in fact the car had a 302 V-8. The owner of the car said it had a C4 in it, there was never any mention of a 4 speed and as for the carb, it could very well have a 4 barrel on it, how hard is it to make that conversion with after market products? I have no idea what the car options were on those cars at that time but I do know that 1974 was the end of an era for porformance cars.

http://www.geocities.com/cping3/newindex1.html

I just happened to wonder into this Maverick forum the other night by chance, or so sorry. You guys are Maverick guys are you not?
Running the VIN number will reveal just what the car rolled out of the factory with as you have stated. But if the owner of the car has stated that his Grabber has a 302 in it there is no reason to doubt that fact.
Ras Daniel



_________________
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/728238
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/732653

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Iethiopian on 1/16/07 12:42am ]</font>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i still have the original sales slip from 1975 wrapped in plastic sheathing...put away since day one...dads first brand new car...he was pretty proud...i have pics from day one...like i said...302 4 bbl...9 inch..still in the car...works fine...came with duals, thrush mufflers...like i previously stated...one of the last!!!!!
check up on it...see if you can actually find a picture of a 75 Maverick Grabber...ive been looking for two years now...dont know if im looking in the right places or not, but i cant find any at all...ill take some pics the way she sits now, and ill have the day one pics scanned and put them up for y'all to admire!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,055 Posts
On 2007-01-15 19:18, newwaterfordboy wrote:
i still have the original sales slip from 1975 wrapped in plastic sheathing...put away since day one...dads first brand new car...he was pretty proud...i have pics from day one...like i said...302 4 bbl...9 inch..still in the car...works fine...came with duals, thrush mufflers...like i previously stated...one of the last!!!!!
check up on it...see if you can actually find a picture of a 75 Maverick Grabber...ive been looking for two years now...dont know if im looking in the right places or not, but i cant find any at all...ill take some pics the way she sits now, and ill have the day one pics scanned and put them up for y'all to admire!!!!!
Peep this:
http://www.geocities.com/cping3/newindex1.html
Ras Daniel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
813 Posts
LOL....hate to burst your bubble, but you are full of sh!t.
Just because it was a "Grabber", its did'nt get any performance above and beyond a regular Maverick.

9" inch rear??, no way....not from the factory only 8" inchers were offered.
302 motor?? yeah, but NOT with a 4 barrel carb from the factory.

Duals?? NOT!! single exhaust ONLY from the factory!! and they would not use an aftermarket "Thrush" muffler from the factory either, it would be a stock Ford muffler.
It would also have catilytic convertor under it.
Your Maverick Grabber would be equipped with a 302 2V, single exhaust with 8" inch open differential with either 2.79 or 3.00 gearing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
weeeeelllllllll.....i think you have encountered wrong info...i have the car dude...you dont...i know what it has, and what it didnt have...we had the car since new, no aftermarket upgrades...for all i know, the car may have been a special order....must have had something good tho, because it was stolen the first year we had it, and the engine and tranny were stolen, and ford replaced the works under warranty...so dont tell me what my car has and doesnt have...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,055 Posts
On 2007-01-15 19:44, newwaterfordboy wrote:
been there dude...thanks tho...not one 75 grabber on there
Well thanks Torino for confirming that the Grabber had a 302

And to the proud owner of this Grabber in question... If you return to the link I posted before, look for the tab that says "Maverick & Comet Information Archive" put your cursor on it and click it then on the next page look for the tab that says "Grabber GT Archives" put your cursor on it click then look for year. I think you said you could not find a 1975 and have been looking for two years. Hummmm. Put the cursor on "1975" click it and if that ain't a 1975 Grabber I not my Mothers child.
Dude I was just trying to help out and I was on your side? I can find 1975 Grabbers all day long online, I fail to see what the deal is? Maybe yours is not a '75?
I'm done with this

Ras Daniel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
813 Posts
On 2007-01-15 20:48, newwaterfordboy wrote:
weeeeelllllllll.....i think you have encountered wrong info...i have the car dude...you dont...i know what it has, and what it didnt have...we had the car since new, no aftermarket upgrades...for all i know, the car may have been a special order....must have had something good tho, because it was stolen the first year we had it, and the engine and tranny were stolen, and ford replaced the works under warranty...so dont tell me what my car has and doesnt have...
Oh, so now the story changes!! tell me why Ford would warranty a stolen engine. They only warranty something if its still present to be inspected by their mechanics.

Sorry, but engine theft is not covered under the powertrain warranty.
And a 1975 302 powered ANYTHING would not come with a 4 barrel carburetor from Ford.
The only year a regular 302 had a 4 barrel on it was 1968.
Otherwise, Boss 302's had them in 69 and 70.
No other 302's from the factory had a 4 barrel carb on them through the remainder of the 70's.
And I suppose you'll be telling us it was a "rare" Boss 302 powered 1975 Maverick Grabber, right??


Why dont you post a few pics of the car on here, and show us the special paperwork you claim to have on it??
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,833 Posts
I have some chrome factory pistons for that engine if you ever need a set. That and a set of NOS factory airbrakes that go in place of the rear drum brakes.
 
1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Top