Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the most power (hp and torque) you can consistantly get from the classic small block Ford and still run on pump gas? At what level does the motor "hit the wall" no matter how much you try to trick it out?

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Well, there are guys in Pro 5.0 running 6's these days with a 5.0 based engine. My guess is you'll his a "$" shaped wall before you reach any others!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I was thinking more about a streetable car that could be driven on a regular basis with pump gas. A guy I know drag raced in the late 60's and he claimed he got about 550 hp out of his 65 shelby. That was with a supercharger. In reading posts it seems that number is still about the same.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Seems to me that number could be easily exceeded with a stroker and nitrous, even with pump gas. Like everything else, the faster you want to go, the more you gotta spend.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Using the stock block and stock stroke, it's hard to reliably make much more than 550hp. Yes, this figure is easily attainable with power adders, and plenty of people have cracked their blocks right down the middle using too much boost and/or nitrous.

Stroking puts additional stress on the bottom end, and REDUCES the amount of horsepower the block can safely tolerate. So, if pushing the limit with a power adder is the plan, stay with the stock stroke. If no power adder is planned, stroking is a good way to pump up the midrange. I still woulndn't go past 331ci.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Just curious. What do you have against a 347?
Is it the rod angle that bothers you? No really, seriously. I'm tossing between a stroker motor and a s/c motor if I limit my self to 331ci, I should prob. think about the s/c. Any real differance powerwise between 331 and 347?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I was just at CHP about four hours ago. Was talking to George about ordering a 347 short block. Would go with RPM 2.02 Heads but not sure what the difference would be with flat tappit and a 1.72 Rocker or taller cam and roller lifters which cost alot more. What is your opinion on the rollers vs. the flat?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Stroking is also a good way to ....
ooops ,needn't go there!

anyways, i digress...
From what i've seen i think the 347" combo works pretty good with 5.4" rods.

As for the solid vs roller, i have had trouble with bustin' parts with a roller, a big solid has been totally trouble-free. The roller becomes an advantage mainly when the lift duration exceed what can be ground on a solid cam.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts