Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone ever use the mcreary's(sp)? i took the t-bird out for a quick ride and traction is non existant. i need a good street tire as the car will see 90% street duty.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Not sure what exact type of Mcreary your talking about but I had excellent results with my 68 mustang 302 4-spd. E.T's dropped from 14.30 and higher on bfg radials to an incredible 13.69. Thats over half of a second. Don't know any other bolt on other than nitrous that will give you that kind of instant improvement.By the way I'm using the road star g-60-15 at about 12 psi.Also work great on the street.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I run bfg radials on the front with no problems as long as I don't leave the tire pressure real low on the Mcrearys.12-15 is good for making a pass or slow street driving but you'll want to pump them up to 25 psi or so for the highway and remember these are wrinklewalls so i wouldn't recommend any canyon carving

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Just a quick correction on my earlier posted ets. Car was running 14.90s and dropped to a 13.98 a-.92 sec improvement(found my timeslips)My 60fts went from2.6s to a best of 1.97.My 13.69 was with open headers and power steering belt remowed.Car has slapper bars and4.11 detroit locker.Mickey et streets are probably the ultimate but the cops frown on them cause of lack of tread. TheMcrearys dont get a second glance perfect for the sleeper look.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Do they have a web site? Where are you buing them from? James

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
Just be aware that there are different compounds.The dirt compound are pretty sticky and give good traction but dont last very long on the street.
There is an asphalt compound which work ok and last longer but not as good traction unless they are real warm..

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I use the dirt track compound it is the best.They seem to wear as well as any of the other sticky dot approved tires.If it's a daily driver take a few minutes and change back to your regular tires.Just put em back on when your out chevy hunting.

·
Registered
359 Posts
On 2002-01-09 15:06, frdnut wrote:
Just a quick correction on my earlier posted ets. Car was running 14.90s and dropped to a 13.98 a-.92 sec improvement(found my timeslips)My 60fts went from2.6s to a best of 1.97.My 13.69 was with open headers and power steering belt remowed.Car has slapper bars and4.11 detroit locker.Mickey et streets are probably the ultimate but the cops frown on them cause of lack of tread. TheMcrearys dont get a second glance perfect for the sleeper look.
why worry what the cops think about them, they are dot legal after all and "street" tires

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Up here in the great white north the cops will almost always give you a ticket for running the street ets and its up to you to prove to the judge their street legal. That means a day off work lost wages and who knows what other hassles.And you have to admit after only a couple of burnouts they are smooth as a baby's butt, and if they're bald they're illegal no matter what kind of tires you have.How do the cops react to them in the big US of A?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
It depends on if he caught us doing the burnout!
As long as the cop isn't looking to be an ass and you're not being one either, most cops in my area don't bother.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts