Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking at Mechanical fuel pumps. Specifically Edelbrock. Will 110 GPH be enough for the 347 stroker? I will be using a Holley 670cfm "Street Avenger" carb.

While I'm thinking about it........what Oil pump will I need? Will standard be OK or will I need high Volume? I was looking at a Melling M68 standard volume. any thoughts?

Thanks as always for any advice

Martin

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
I'd stay away from high volume/high pressure oil pumps unless the engine is built with loose clearances for racing. No need for them on a normal street engine.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Hmmmmm, 110 GPH...let's do the math :) :D
OK, 12 MPG car best shot fuel mileage at 60 mph comes to 1320 miles off a 110 gallon tank, now knowing that....

Hauling ASS going through the gears and on the track you're going to probably drink about a gallon every 45 seconds.... So you're more than likely going to be fine with 110 GPH by about 27.5 gallons per hour.

Isn't math neat? Too bad I didn't make any correct calculations....

·
Premium Member
5,912 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
How bout this math.....a well tuned motor burns about .5 pounds per HP per hour......Lets say you have your average 400 horse motor X.5 =200pounds per hour.....for ease of math, gasoline weighs about 8 pounds per gallon.....200 pounds divided by 8 = 25 gallons per hour

Yeah, I'd say that pump will work....

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Hmmmmm, 110 GPH...let's do the math :) :D
OK, 12 MPG car best shot fuel mileage at 60 mph comes to 1320 miles off a 110 gallon tank, now knowing that....

Hauling ASS going through the gears and on the track you're going to probably drink about a gallon every 45 seconds.... So you're more than likely going to be fine with 110 GPH by about 27.5 gallons per hour.

Isn't math neat? Too bad I didn't make any correct calculations....
...really...

Can you put your shoes back on now? You are stinking up the place...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts