Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I successfully swapped in a T-5 into my '63 Ranchero and I want to pass along what I went through in doing it. I first had the idea of using an S-10 tail housing 4 or 5 years ago after swapping Mustang tail housing onto an S-10 tranny for a Street Rod I was working on. On the Street Rod, we needed to move the shifter location back, and the Mustang tail did exactly that. I figured the same process would work if I needed to move the shifter forward. I wasn't building the Ranchero at the time, so my idea would have to wait. I needed to finish the Ranchero in a hurry 3 years ago, so I went with a Falcon T-10 4 speed tranny because I had one lying around. The T-5 swap would have to wait. I drove the Ranchero around with the T-10 for about a year when decided that enough was enough, I needed an overdrive tranny. I had heard about the Modern Driveline Shifter Forward conversion and I figured that they were doing the S-10 tail swap. I was going to do my own. I wanted the forward shifter location because the Ranchero has the stock bench seat in it, and I had mocked up an assembly with the Mustang shifter location, and it felt weird. I know lots of people had done the Mustang shifter location, but it was not for me. Here are several tips that I learned in doing the swap:

1. You need an S-10 tail housing that has the speedo gear location in it. Sometime in the early 90's they went to an electronic speedo, and the tail will not have the provision for the speedo. Mid 80's is your best bet.

2. You will also need the shifter, and the top plate which has the shifting forks attached. Your best bet is to get an entire junk tranny. I paid $40.00 for mine.

3. The tail housing and top plate will bolt on with no modifications.

4. The S-10 tail locates the speedo gear further back than the Mustang tail does. There are several ways to get around this. You can go with an electronic speedo, you can use shim stock to build up the diameter of the output shaft to accept the speedo gear, or you can do as I did. I machined a small sleeve with the proper dimensions that the gear would attach to, and I split it in half and TIG welded it to the output shaft. It is necessary to split if in half as the diameter is smaller than the output splines and there is no way it can slip on.

5. The S-10 tail locates the speedo cable in exactly the same spot as the tranny support cross member that runs above the tranny. I solved this by cutting a 3" x 4" square in the support that the cable could come out of. I will have to attach a photo to let the picture do the talking.

6. The stock S-10 shifter is a nice short throw shifter that will do the job after a few mods. The S-10 shifter handle would be nice in a Mustang, but it was awkward in the Ranchero. I disassembled the shifter, cut off the bottom 4" of the S-10 shifter, and fabbed a stick out of 3/4" x .120" round tubing with the same shape as the stock Falcon shifter. I then TIG welded the fabbed shifter handle to the cut off portion of the S-10 shifter. You could use a stock 4 speed stick, but the shifter has to bend towards the left to be comfortable, so a custom shifter handle is your best bet.

7. With the 26" tall tires, and the 3.27 gears in the rear end, the 3.35 first gear in the T-5 makes for a very short time in first. I am probably going to go with some 3.08's.

8. The clearance between the top right side of the tranny and the top of the tunnel is tight. Some clearancing with a "two headed adjustment tool” may be needed.

9. The driveshaft will have to be shortened app. 1" from the original length.

10. I re-used the same clutch assembly, but had to change to the T-5 bell housing. I made a 1" thick clutch fork pivot bracket spacer to set the fork in the proper place. I also had to drill the bell to accept the pivot bracket. You can measure off a stock bell housing for the proper hole location.

The shifter works silky smooth, and the OD is awesome. At 75 MPH, I am chugging along at about 2200 RPM'S. I would do this swap in a second again with no hesitation. The total cost for the T-5 tranny, S-10 tail housing and misc. items was about $500.00, and worth every penny.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts