Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, what are the differences from 67 to the 68? in reference to exterior body lines, panels and moldings? were there any?

thanks

·
Registered
809 Posts
Hey, what are the differences from 67 to the 68? in reference to exterior body lines, panels and moldings? were there any?

thanks
68 has side marker lights, 67 doesn't. Only reason I remember is my first car was a 68, and hit the front. Put a 67 fender on one side it didn't have the light.
Steering wheel was different too. Not sure on what else if anything was different.

Lou

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
68 has side marker lights, 67 doesn't. Only reason I remember is my first car was a 68, and hit the front. Put a 67 fender on one side it didn't have the light.
Steering wheel was different too. Not sure on what else if anything was different.

Lou
Small point.

Pretty sure the 68 had a rear red side reflector while the 69 was the first to go with the light.

My 68 Cyclone GT had the same rear reflector, I believe.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Believe it was very subtle differences, the clearance lights/reflectors being the main year model differences.... Think over all the lines/trim etc were the same.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Believe it was very subtle differences, the clearance lights/reflectors being the main year model differences.... Think over all the lines/trim etc were the same.
Correct, sheet metal basically the same. The main difference were safety items like the mentioned side lamps, headrest, early emission systems intro, etc.

The 1968 body though allowed one to run one of three available HP engines (390-427-427) in Stock/Super Stock of the day. That was when you raced the car in the next lane and not timing lights.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
68 had the front side lights and rear reflector side.
If it's just a body shell and with no fenders, here's the real trick, 68 is the only year with the VIN tag on the Passenger side of the dash.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
This will kill you if you're a Cougar guy.

My wife's uncle had a 69 XR7, red/white vinyl top with hand crank sun roof, 390/335 hp (?), 4 speed.

Ther car was in decent shape, but he left it in his yard in north Jersey, uncovered for years, and eventually junked it. (His everyday driver was a yellow/white vinyl topped 68 Galaxie, 2 dr semi fastback, 390/2v, auto, benchseat, flip headlights)

I always looked at that car and wondered how much of an effort it would take to put that motor/trans in my 352/250 automatic Galaxie, assuming I could find all the clutch pedal parts.

But, not being a mechanic, I never really jumped into the project.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
This will kill you if you're a Cougar guy.

My wife's uncle had a 69 XR7, red/white vinyl top with hand crank sun roof, 390/335 hp (?), 4 speed.

Ther car was in decent shape, but he left it in his yard in north Jersey, uncovered for years, and eventually junked it. (His everyday driver was a yellow/white vinyl topped 68 Galaxie, 2 dr semi fastback, 390/2v, auto, benchseat, flip headlights)

I always looked at that car and wondered how much of an effort it would take to put that motor/trans in my 352/250 automatic Galaxie, assuming I could find all the clutch pedal parts.

But, not being a mechanic, I never really jumped into the project.
Ouch, the swap for yours would have been fairly simple depending on the year of your gal, motor a direct drop in swap, pedal/hanger assy not sure of due to not knowing year of yours, but usually pretty easy also. Some/most (not all) the hangars were the same for auto/manual cars, just had the extra pedal. Usually all the mounting holes for z-bar brackets are there, just need the brackets and linkage assy. But not knowing all that would be cause of some concern, not being a mechanic/gear head at the time....(what to look for etc)

Ahhhh the things that we shoulda woulda coulda, makes one sick sometimes.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Ouch, the swap for yours would have been fairly simple depending on the year of your gal, motor a direct drop in swap, pedal/hanger assy not sure of due to not knowing year of yours, but usually pretty easy also. Some/most (not all) the hangars were the same for auto/manual cars, just had the extra pedal. Usually all the mounting holes for z-bar brackets are there, just need the brackets and linkage assy. But not knowing all that would be cause of some concern, not being a mechanic/gear head at the time....(what to look for etc)

Ahhhh the things that we shoulda woulda coulda, makes one sick sometimes.... :rolleyes:
I also considered selling my 64 Galaxie and buying that car, but this is going way back 25 or more years. Looking back, no regrets.

But, he wasn't selling anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.