Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd point out the good and the bad of a parts car, especially today in dealing with 3rd gen Fords. I bought a 1968 LTD 4 door hardtop a few years back strictly on the basis for its frame for my original 1968 XL as 3rd gens love to rot out the frames from the inside out. By the time you notice it, it's usually too late. This '68 LTD was a Southwest car, about 9 miles from the house found more or less abandoned in back of a yard. 500 dollars later and it was mine.

No doubt it's an ugly thing, but it turned out to be a gold mine of worthy parts.

I've noticed that over the past few years especially, parts for 3rd gens have sky rocketed. With that even though I bought this for its frame for my '68 XL (first one I bought) this thing has donated quite a bit directly and has parts that fit the other two 1966's.

Just to give you an idea of how valuable a parts car can be, this had donated its:

1.) front disc brakes to the 1966 gal 500 XL. 1968 disc brake spindle assemblies will bolt right onto any 1965 -1967 full size.
2.) complete booster assembly (booster and lever assembly) for the 66 gal 500 XL
3.) shuttle and proportioning valve to make one good set for golden 68 XL with the same factory disc brakes.
4.) frame to my now spare 68 XL car. Anyone who had to replace a frame knows what a hassle and often expense it is to obtain a good solid frame.
5.) clock to the golden 1968 XL
6.) bumpers as a spare set
7.) hide-a-way headlamps as a spare set
8.) complete front clip as a spare (same as the XL)
9.) driver side remote mirror for the golden '68 XL
10.) front door main glass is the same as the 1966 LTD 4 door hardtop as a spare set.
11.) vent windows are the same on any hardtop doesn't matter if it's 2 or 4 door as a spare set.
12.) C6 as a spare unit.
13.) Z code 390, if in good enough shape to the golden 68 XL for now.
14.) big bearing Ford 9 inch differential to the golden 68 XL
15.) main floor pans to the spare '68 XL
16.) trunk floor pan to the spare '68 XL
17.) deck lid torsion bars for the golden '68 XL
18.) hood hinges for the golden '68 XL

You can imagine if you had to purchase all this from a junkyard, it would far exceed the price of the car. Probably 4 to 5 times worth.

But now for the downside. You eventually have to get rid of the parts you do not want and that usually means a good portion of the vehicle. Most junkyards will not take a car without a title or if it's really stripped down. So you're left with taking it apart and hauling the bits to the dump. It's a strenuous and thankless job for sure.

Trip one.

Lots of decent sheet metal to be had.

Interesting to note that by 1968, Ford uses the front floor braces for the bucket seats even in bench seat cars. Unlike the 1966 model.

I should have this out in a day or two and then on the stand for disassembly to see if it's usable with a light refresh.

Getting there.

Another interesting note on 1968 Windshields. So most places selling windscreens will say fits all hardtops 1965 to 1967 and excludes 1968 hardtops. Even the Ford interchange lists 1968 hardtops as a different windscreen whilst the Ford master parts catalogue lists the tinted window for hardtops with the same part number from 1965-1968. So who's right?

Turns out looking at the windscreen out of this 1968 hardtop, it's the same glass as the 1965-1967. So hardtops from 1965-1968 use the same glass.

It's really hard to tell, but this is the windscreen out of the 1968 LTD hardtop. It's a replacement glass with a part number of W655 which is the part number for 1965-1967 hardtops as well.

As they say the proof is in the pudding.

Just wanted to share some thoughts on buying and disposing of a parts car.

Cheers

·
Registered
183 Posts
You got a great deal on that. I used to do the same thing with old Yamaha and Kawasaki bikes. My ex and her girlfriend went poking around in my shop one day. When I came home from work, she asked if I knew I had 27 motorcycles. lol

I really had about 10 with titles and the rest were parts bikes that people will almost give away. Same thing though, once they are picked out, it is scrap iron.

Best buy was
I bought a 1981 XS850 with title for $300. the guy had left it outside with the sparkplugs out and the motor was rusted. It looked pretty nice and I needed the handlebar controls and the starter for my 850 so I bought it. I also got a spare set of carbs, a seat, ignition box, speedo/tach, key set, front and rear brakes, shocks, fuel tank, turn signals, etc. all nice stuff.

Then I searched craigslist to find one that needed a title. Found a 750 cafe a guy had a lot of work into and could not put it on the street due to no title. When I talked to him, he ended up buying my roller with title for $250!

When I moved, I had to clear all that junk out though. I sold my 850 to a young guy getting into the hobby. I called him back and sold him all my spares really cheap. Rather give it away to a good home than junk it. Sometimes I felt like a caretaker of treasure because you just can't find some of this stuff anymore.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Amen! I was fortunate to find a very complete 65 convertible parts-car that even included quite a few extras for $800. I've already picked several things off it, and many more to come. For me, the big dilemma is parting it out, as it would actually make a fair restoration candidate itself (even has a clear title). Still, the floor and frame are roached--but the seller included a spare solid frame for that price. I may see if there's enough left over for any kind of car build when I'm done with donor parts. Fortunately, I have a contact in the scrap-metal business who would be glad to dispose of anything I don't want in the end--and will even pay me for it!

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Amen! I was fortunate to find a very complete 65 convertible parts-car that even included quite a few extras for $800. I've already picked several things off it, and many more to come. For me, the big dilemma is parting it out, as it would actually make a fair restoration candidate itself (even has a clear title). Still, the floor and frame are roached--but the seller included a spare solid frame for that price. I may see if there's enough left over for any kind of car build when I'm done with donor parts. Fortunately, I have a contact in the scrap-metal business who would be glad to dispose of anything I don't want in the end--and will even pay me for it!
Hello Jazzmeister,

Yuppers, can you imagine paying specialty junk yard prices (think CTC Auto Ranch or Desert Valley Auto Parts) or E-Bay prices for a radio, door, bonnet, floor pan, glass, C6 (FE) or a large bearing heavy duty Ford 9". That's thousands of dollars (not including shipping which is very substantial now-a-days) for southwest minimal corrosion parts. I can't imagine having to constantly source parts for a project car it would break the bank. These era of cars are becoming so expensive very quickly that the hobby is restricted to fewer and fewer. And that's a shame as the next generation will really have nothing left to tinker with and learn.

Cheers

·
Registered
682 Posts
As bad as it may sound, title and plates not in your name? Then leave it outside the gate to a junk yard. They'll have to deal with it sooner or later.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As bad as it may sound, title and plates not in your name? Then leave it outside the gate to a junk yard. They'll have to deal with it sooner or later.
Howdy rickyracer1983,

It's really hard to transport when you need the chassis out of it :)

Cheers

·
Registered
925 Posts
Then there is the problem when your cheap parts car is a better candidate for resurrection than your original car. After scrounging parts for my 61 Sunliner for a couple of years I came across a Craigslist ad for a complete 61 Sunliner with title locally for 500.00. It's now a driver.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gut it as much as possible and find a few friends to get it on/off trailer.
Hello rickyracer1983,

Well I just can't bring myself to dump my problems onto someone else. I don't mind cutting it up into bite size pieces as the plasma cutter makes it very easy. I live way out in the middle of nowhere. The closest junkyard is about 50 miles away and the transfer station (local trash dump) is about 13 and it's free to unload metal that also makes the decision even easier :)

Tis done now. I kept the floor and boot pans as they were in really good condition. Everything else is now gone. I'm keeping this chassis as a spare as a non rotted 3rd gen chassis are getting ridiculous in price (normal attrition plus more interest in 3rd gens as the other popular car are gobbled up). Plus this car only had 71K on the odometer and I pulled its factory original (VIN matched) Z code engine apart and all signs point to it's just 71K and has not rolled over. I'm hoping to still use the differential out of this as a temporary fix for my '68 XL that is very worn out (has 300K miles and you can turn the yoke 90˚ before it engages the axle shafts). And I'm hoping to use the Ford power steering gear after a rebuild for my XL as well. Plenty of good otherwise expensive parts even on a simple chassis to be had.

Cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts