Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It will hold whatever you want to put in it. With the coil over set-up up front, I have an 1" of adjustment either way. I first had purchased the 2" drop spindles but then traded out for the stock height spindles. The 2" drop spindles..
SLAMMMED IT! The pic at the end of the video shows my Chero with the drop spindles and no motor...so you can see it would have been too low once the motor was in( for me anyway). The added weight of the Cleveland heads and the windsor and the 1" adjustment I have...this thing will be sittin' sweet.

I have started a slideshow on the motor...and it will be up soon. As soon as I get rolling on the motor install, and get it running and everything you all will be the first to see the
"Live Videos"! I have the technology! hehe.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I purchased the kit from Rod & Custom. The kit was COMPLETE with every peice needed to do the swap. Everything fit like a glove. Be warned alot of other kits advertise cheaper kits, but they are incomplete. Also research your kit. Some kits want you to notch your frame to fit their kit! Why? This kit was made just for my application, and I was thrill of how easy it all really was. This has got to be the best MII kit out there!

http://parts.homestead.com/Listing.html

Coilover Suspension Kit RC-107

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Rick, my hat's off to you for that video. Really instructive and great production work!

I did the Rod & Custom Mustang II IFS about 9 years ago on my '61, and I still say it's the best thing I did to my car (the T5-Z being a close second). It's worth every penny. I started out with the stock spindles, then opted for 2" droppers. Bitchin'!

You're correct that it's a fully complete kit. My car's front end was in a dangerous state of disrepair when I bought the car. EVERYTHING needed to be replaced or rebuilt, and I needed front discs too. Oh. Did I mention I had the stock 6 cylinder front end with a 302 in?! Once I did the math of what it would take to replace everything and do the Granada disc thing, and the time it would take to chase down parts that were getting hard to find in junkyards, it was clear.

I called Willie and William, and I love those guys. Fabulous customer service.

Guys, do this! (HankyJ was not compensated for this endorsement!)

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hanky,
Your not alone..I totally endorse Rod & Custom as well! I'm trying to get some info and pictures out there for the swap. When I started looking for info when I was thinking of doing the swap, I could hardly find any good info. Sharing experience is what it's all about. It really was a gravy install, didnt you think? The hardest part was getting it prepped for the kit. I was overwhelmed when I first got in to it, but it was easier than it looks..huh? Letting go of the whole shock tower removal issues was a big step! lol. I kept saying to myself, "This IS an upgrade" LMAO... I musta called William (at Rod & Custom) a dozen times! Making sure I was cutting my car up in the correct manner! hehe.
But you know...he NEVER treated me any different on each call! Very professional, and very helpful. Rod & Custom is going to be a sponsor at the FCA National convention this year in Indianapolis. I wish all vendors were more like him. Thanks for the props on the video/slideshow, it was fun to make and I enjoy messin' on the computer.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FATNFAST on 3/18/06 8:17pm ]</font>

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Yes. I think the hardest part is the intimidation factor. I mean, when you start cutting out those factory towers, you're committed. And then, when you weld in that crossmember, it better be absolutely, positively centered. After that, it's basically bolt on kind of work. I would also mention that after one does this, take it to a good front end alignment guy who really knows what he's doing. The first place I took it to aligned it stock '61 Falcon specs! Idiots! Even then it drove a hell of a lot better, but then later I brought it to another guy who discovered the previous problem and did it right, and the little car really handles well. Especially with the dropped spindles.

I've heard that a Shelbyfied front end with the lowered A-arms and all that can easily outperform our front ends which is probably true. Still, that's a lot of work and expense, and probably takes a great deal more futzing with it to get it right on our cars. Oh. And you still have those darn shock towers!

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Great video, thanks for going to all the work to produce it. I have the same kit on my '65 Ranchero but I had it done at a shop in El Cajon, Ca. - they did a GREAT job. Autoworks International

·
Registered
87 Posts
I used a kit from Arizona Ford which I think is now The Rod Factory . It was an easy install and made for a clean installation. Just another option . There kit uses the factory strut rod mounts for there strut rods which seems to me to be a stronger set up than some of the other kits. I have heard that failures in strut rods and lower a arms has been a problem.I have had my kit on my 64 prostreet Comet for about 6 years with no problems.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Most likely the crossmember or Lower control arm failures comes from not using anti seize on the rod attaching the lower control arm to the crossmember. Not to say there couldn't be any defects in some kits, but improper installation in most cases cause the failures.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.