Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As part of the machine work done on my 460 I had them deck the block just enough to ensure it was flat (it was about 0.005" from each deck) I also had them deck the heads and they got closer to 0.010" so I should have ended up with about 0.015". If I remember from all the reading the intake should be able to handle up to 0.030" without needing any work to get sealed. Now the problem, the exh. crossover is leaking down into the block (I think but from the sounds inside the block I am pretty sure that is what I am hearing) It is not leaking into the induction so the engine runs well. I had only used the metal intake heat shield and no other gaskets. Both engines I took apart were the same way but will a regular intake gasket fit as well to maybe seal the exh. crossover or should I just add some high temp RTV sealer around the crossover???

Thanks again in advance for the advice....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I guess no one had any advice. I pulled the intake and found that the exh. crossover was not leaking but that I had flat lobed the cam. So back to work and see if Comp Cam really honors their one year warranty. I had used Shell Rotella T and Comp Cams Break in oil additive (159) as Comp Cam recommends but now I get to try it again.

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
Exhaust usually doesn't leak. Check the manifold surfaces for straigthness. They could be a litttle off.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I have received the new cam, installed it and degree it. I hope to get it started again tonight if the rest of the assembly goes well. All I still have to do is install the belts, hoses, radiator, and fill the antifreeze. I hope it goes better this time. I have returned the other cam to COMP cams to see if they are going to honor their warranty or blame me for doing something wrong. I have been talking to some local engine builders in the Omaha area and they have seen a lot of trouble with COMP cams and have switched to CRANE cams. Has anyone here seen the same problems???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts