Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello im new here i stopped by to ask a question i cant find the answer to. Im going to be building a 393w for my AMC and i found a set of Trick Flow with 61cc comb.chamber and 170cc heads that has been milled .005 but im wondering if there would be any issues with those going on a stroker the pistons i was hoping to use was about -4cc. Im going to be buiding it for some what higher compression 11:1 or 12:1. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
Welcome to the forums. With those milled heads, all standard 393W dimensions, and zero deck, you're looking at about 12.1:1 static CR.

David

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'm trying to make sure there's no clearance issues with pistons and valves I'm not entirely sure what gasket thickness I should go with either lol

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
P2V is based on your cam lift, timing, piston reliefs, valve angle and diameter, rocker ratio, deck height and gasket compressed thickness. I can't help you with all that without a great deal more info, but the TWs have fewer clearance issues than straight-valve heads for the same combinations. That is a builder's job to figure all that out. Likewise, the gasket compressed thickness is based on deck height and desired quench clearance. Using the actual measured rod center-to-center length, piston compression height and measured stroke, the block would normally be machined to achieve the desired deck height. That is then coupled with the correct gasket to produce the desired quench clearance. The desired quench is variable depending on factors such as bearing clearances, heat expansion, maximum RPM and resulting rod stretch, rod material, etc. For a typical street engine on pump gas with typical parts, .040" is a good target. Machined for a measured zero deck height and with a typical .039 to .041 performance head gasket - you're generally good.

David

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the gasket i was going to use was probably going to be around .41 the cam not completely sure yet some with a lot of lift the heads can hold up 600 some im thinking mid 500's, rockers are going to be 1.6 and im wanting to leave the deck height the way it is. Also .40 over pistons was the plan so it would i think a 396.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts