Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my heads have 68cc chambers....would it be safe to cut them down to 60cc or would there be alignment issues

·
Registered
460 Posts
Intake ports may not line up with the ports in the manifold after milling but there are formulas to determine how much to mill off the intake face. Your machine shop should have this data.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
You loose about about 6 cc'c for every .010, according to my machinist... When I originally posted to this I didn't know nuttin about it but was asking about computing my hanber size after a mill and a block deck, then he finally told me...

So in order to get yours down you'd need about 20 thousandths taken off according to him.

FE

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FEandGoingBroke on 11/25/06 7:31am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Are you asking about 289 heads? What year?

.010 does not take 6ccs off of a 289 head. It's .006 per cc for '65 to '68 289 heads. For 8cc reduction, that's .048. Ford does not recommend more than .050 milled off the heads. Info is coming from Bob Carrolls Ford Stockers Bible.

What 289 heads came with 68cc chambers? Those are big for 289s.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Thinking they were unshrouded, a lot.

Cris

·
Registered
659 Posts
.020 should be ok and intake should line up.
Might try and angle mill might have to take less off.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They are a set of brodix track 1's.....and im gettin a new set of pistons.. trying to get it around 13:1

·
Registered
278 Posts
It took 0.030 off my AFR 165s 58cc heads to get them to 54cc. I then had to mill the bottom of my intake 0.120 to get in back in alignment. This was to get 10:1 CR.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Here's an approximation for a '70 351w head that's 61 cc. The chamber measures 4" x 2.68" at their widest points. I'll approximate the area of the chamber by using a rectangle 3.75 x 2.68 to compensate for curved sides. Converting to cc (2.54cc per in), it takes .006 to take 1cc off of this head...this agrees exactly with Bob Carrolls book for a DOOE head.

If it were .010 for 6 cc, that would mean I have an error factor of nearly 400%...no way.

Think of it intuitively. If it were .010 for 6cc and the chamber is 61cc or 68cc, then the chamber should only be .100 to .110 deep if the sides were straight. Again, no way.

If you mill .048 off the head, you may increase the quench area somewhat where the chamber slopes to meet the flat bottom...generally a good thing. Your also moving the valves a lot closer to the pistons...be careful

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: blkfrd on 11/27/06 1:07pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Uno the best way to have this done is to have the heads CC'd first to get a better more accurate comp ratio to start with using a good COMP CALC like this one ( this has been posted here before). http://www.diamondracing.net/cocalc.htm
Then ask the head shop to get the wanted cc's on the head to make the comp ratio that you want. Thats the most accurate and the most costly (expensive) way to do it on an engine by engine basis IMO. But then youll KNOW what you have regardless of what any book says.

Angle milling gets serious. You start messing with a few more varibles. Id let the head shop talk with you on wether or not thats good for your application.
Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts