Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I bought a PowerMaster mini-starter before. I think P/N 9603 - Powermaster 9603 - Powermaster Mastertorque Starters - Overview - SummitRacing.com - which didn't fit in the bellhousing plate. I've read I would need the automatic version from PowerMaster. Is this correct? Their product description should be fixed.

So, I'm looking for a mini starter that fits my application... 347ci, 10.6:1 compression ratio, T10 4-speed manual, 157-tooth flywheel. Here's a Summit search - Search Results for mini starter 289 - SummitRacing.com

Give me your thoughts... or better yet, what do you have?

And, most importantly, are there universal mini-starters that'll fit if I upgrade later on to a 4-speed top-loader with or w/out Gear Vendors overdrive or 5-6 speed? TIA

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have had powermaster rebuild and change the depth of the gear (AT to MT style). They were awesome to work with and really a good price. If you still have yours you can get it rebuilt and changed up to a different mounting depth for 80$ or less.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice. I'll check out MSD... I'm guessing it's ~$300-400!!

Someone has a '93 Ford 302 starter with lifetime warranty for $120. Sounds like a great deal, but not sure it'll fit a T10 4-speed w/157-tooth flywheel. Maybe I can have the mount changed up like you said. Then, there are DBElectrical mini-starters for ~$50...

Luckily, I returned the PowerMaster #9603.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I bought the mini starters off of ebay for 70 bucks. Works freaking great. They are the same ones that summit sells in the off brand. Same instructions and all, for like half the price. It was about 80 bucks to my door. I've used them a couple times on different cars. No complaints, they are all I'll ever use.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I adapted a PMGR to my FE and that is all my brother ever used on his 408. Good starter, can get it anywhere and parts are also everywhere. Compact and it is a FORD part.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
lpittack, The guy I bought my Pmgr starter and 160 amp Alternator from is RJMinjectiontech.com - He even has instrictions on how to install the alternators and how to solder the battery cable lugs on.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll need to call to find out if that PMGR one will fit my application.
DBElectric says nothing about 289 4-speed M/T, 157-tooth...

Right now, I'm liking the lifetime warranty on a '93 Ford 5.0 mini-starter $120-144 at Pep Boys, which I'm told on another forum will fit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts