Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i'm looking to get another posi rearend for my 73 mach. i already have a new mileage 3.0 in there. now i want another so i can swap in and out what i want at the same. i want something that will make me lean back hard into the seat BUT nothing that will bring me like 3000rpms at only 40mph. hehehehehhhe.

i know a guy who does rearends and he offered me about 380 bucks for a mini spool 3.70 gear. he says that mini spool will give you a guaranteed lock over a traction-lok. and there isn't anything to wear out on a mini spool where a tracion like there is clutchs you an burn out and make it into a open just after one weird abuse with it.

is running a mini spool on the street safe? i like to take fast turns. this a bad idea to take fast turn on a mini spool?

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Trust me, you don't want to use a mini spool on the street. The first time you make a killer turn & snap an axle... you'll understand. If you don't have a good aftermarket axle that's an invitation to disaster too! Ever think about a Detroit? Auburn? Moroso? There's a lot of good racheting type & positive locking centers out there that work a ton better than our beloved trac-loc. Keep your car in 1 piece.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
will those other brands give a guaranteed lock? can i still take hard turns? yea, i don't wanna break the original axles now. can people give a price on these things. these new items.?

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Take at look at the PowerTrax products. The FM Archives have an entire free article on it. They suggest that you don't use the version they used on the street, or rather, "if you plan on doing a lot of U-turns", but I believe PowerTrax has diffs which provide genuine lock-up but become open when making turns, which is what you want for safety's sake. You definitely don't want to run a constantly locking diff on the street. I think it's the SofLoc differential you want.

·
Registered
316 Posts
The following are all good sources for both locking and limited slip differentials.

http://www.randysringandpinion.com

http://nationaldrivetrain.com

http://www.drivetraindirect.com

Generally, a limited slip will do better in turns than a locker but will still provide good straight-line traction.

I recently bought a Detroit Gearless Locker, but haven't had enough driving time to give a good review. However, I did notice a definite decrease in wheel spin despite the fact that I also switched from 3.25 to 3.70 gears at the same time that the Gearless Locker was put in.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Those detroits are TOUGH, Im a 4 wheeler, and thats everyones fav out there <Rubicon, in Tahoe for those that know it> And with the low ratios they're running, you can imagine how much power thats going through that thing.

·
Programmer
856 Posts
About a year ago when I didn't know much of anything I opted for a mini spool. I still have it today. Never snapped an axle, or anything. Its actually fun to drive on the street I think, you can wip the rear end around anytime you want. I can do 180's, 360's, etc
. However, you will eat up tires very quickly... I have to get new tires every 1.5 months at least, and I only drive about 20 to 25miles a day

Chris

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Holy ****! You only get about 1,000 miles out of tires?
Olie, the money you save on the Spool will cost you in tires in a given year. Opt for the D Locker. BTW why is your T Loc worn out? MonsterMach has had his for a while with a 4 speed and a meaner motor (if that means anything).

Jeff Given

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jeff, having alot of power uppose to having mild power doesn't mean everything to wearing out a traction-lok. the way i did it was #1 was that i lit up the tires in the middle of a turn. the car fish tails when doing that. and #2 is that i try lighting p both my tires on my street which is slanted. when i do that only one tire spins but when i go on flat grounds both will. the rearend guy says in a t-lok there is clutches you can brake and when those go, you got a open. hell, if i had a stocked 289 i could of wore it out.

what my rearend was doing was that if i burned out the right tire would smoke up and the other one would just squeal. it's IRONIC that i power-breaked infront of my house last week and my sister said the right one spun and then after 3 seconds the other one started to spin. and then both were smoking up. i took it to my dad's shop and put it up in the air. both tires are completely spinning together. before the other tire wouldn't catch on with the other and sometimes it would. NOW I GOT IT LOCKING AGAIN.

this normal for me just to be doing a power-brakiing session and have the lock up back? so in conclusion, i could of wore out my rear the way i did with a engine with not so big hp numbers.

and jeff, larry has a d-lok which is stronger than a t-lok. and larry doesn't light up the tires on a turn.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey 66stang, so mini spool's eat up tires real bad? i remember the rearend guy telling me to buy rear tires by the dozen.

is this because ummmm i don't know. why?

if mini spool isn't really good on street. what is mini spool good for?

·
Programmer
856 Posts
NAH

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Mini spools are designed as a cheap traction/handling aid for the dirt circle track racer. With the wheels locked, the car automatically wants to turn/spin when going in a turn. Since a dirt track car spins the tires practically all the time anyway, there's no real pressure put on axles. However (and this is a BIG however), when used on the street, the spool causes big time pressure on the axles. Now, if you're running street tires, it may not be a big deal because they'll usually spin/slide on turns. Unfortunatly, I was using BFG Dragradials on my car. They didn't want to slide so much and something had to give: AXLE! Full spool co's like Richmond and others won't even sell a spool with their rear end set up unless you have at least a 31 spline axle and some require 35 spline! For the price of an axle and two worn out drag radials, I could've been over half way there to a detroit locker. Live and learn!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts