Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this seems simple but I have a problem. I have wired my min-starter just like the directions said. I have confirmed the wiring based on the tech article here on FordMuscle. When I put the key in the run or second possition the starter cranks the motor. Any ideas? I do have a new engine wiring harness that is a mix of 1989 Mustang and 1988 merkur. I dont know if maybe that is a factor or not.

Russ

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More information. No one seems to have had this problem. When I pull the small wire from the relay 'S' post, the car does not crank at all. When I hook the small wire to the harness9black with a green stripe th ecar cranks but in the run possition in addition to the start possition. I have switched the wires sround on the relay to make sure it wasnt backwards and it does the same thing. Today I checked to make sure that the 12v wire at the starter and the smaller 12ga wire were not accidentally touching each other and they were not. I am stumped.

My guess could it be that the solenoid on the min starter is cloesed and the power is going down through the stater and back to the relay?

Thanks!

·
Registered
279 Posts
i may be wrong, but i think the wire that goes to the solenoid is red and blue, or maybe red and white, i think the black and green wire are for the ignition.....like i said, i'm not completely sure, but to the best of my knowledge that is the case....not too long ago, i wired a v8 carb, in a 4 cyl, injected car, and it seems to me those r the colors i used, if i get a chance to get over to where the car is, i'll confirm for you.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Russ referenced an article on FordMuscle about a mini-starter. Will someone kindly direct me to that article. My objective is finding a "how to" on converting a stock starter to a high torque mini-starter. Thanks, --Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts