Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have my 66 coupe at the restoration shop where it is, at this time, being media blasted. I have full intentions of performing a mini tub and leaf relocation to get a pair of 315/45/17 tires under the car. I have spent endless hours researching message boards and talking to people to get some guidance/advisement to performing this task. Is there anyone who has been through and done this to a coupe. If so, I would really like to see some pictures. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I did this to my 66 fastback, same wheel well as coupe. Relocating the spring mount to the inside of the frame does not gain you a whole lot of room because the rear frame horn curves into the wheel well as it goes rearward.

I used competition engineering bolt in sub frame connectors that were bolted into place to hold them and then fully, and I mean fully, welded. The new front mount is then anchored to the insidse of the original frame mount and to the new sub frame connector with a little new metal added. For the rear, weld some angel and a piece of roll bar to form a new upper mount off of the original frame.

I need to take pictures...

·
Registered
8 Posts
On 2006-08-22 17:27, 66408stang wrote:
I did this to my 66 fastback, same wheel well as coupe. Relocating the spring mount to the inside of the frame does not gain you a whole lot of room because the rear frame horn curves into the wheel well as it goes rearward.

I used competition engineering bolt in sub frame connectors that were bolted into place to hold them and then fully, and I mean fully, welded. The new front mount is then anchored to the insidse of the original frame mount and to the new sub frame connector with a little new metal added. For the rear, weld some angel and a piece of roll bar to form a new upper mount off of the original frame.

I need to take pictures...
yes please post some pics, im in the same boat. BTW what size tires can you fit under there?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I'm sort of curious about this too. I'm going with a custom 4 link setup, so the springs will never be an issue lol, but I'm curious what size tires will fit under 65-66 sheetmetal without flares.

Cris

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
IsBadFord: The 26x8.5 MT slicks will fit great and stick pretty good up to 450-500HP to the ground. The slick I run is a 28X9, which took a little fender rolling and I had to move the rearend back about 1/4" so they would not hit the front rocker panel at high speed. Also it is important to have a good suspension that does not squat, or you will hit the top of the tire. I know there is one other guy runnin ghat size tire, because he told me it worked for him. All cars are a little different so you would just have to give it a try. I do know that a 10" slick is not going to fit.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
On 2006-09-21 08:29, cahorne wrote:
IsBadFord: The 26x8.5 MT slicks will fit great and stick pretty good up to 450-500HP to the ground. The slick I run is a 28X9, which took a little fender rolling and I had to move the rearend back about 1/4" so they would not hit the front rocker panel at high speed. Also it is important to have a good suspension that does not squat, or you will hit the top of the tire. I know there is one other guy runnin ghat size tire, because he told me it worked for him. All cars are a little different so you would just have to give it a try. I do know that a 10" slick is not going to fit.
Is that with a spring relocate and mini tub, or without? If without, that's a good sign I'll be able to get a LOT of tire under my car =). If with...there still may be some small things I can do to get a 10" tire under there. The 4 link I'm using is the same as a late model stock car. Bird cages on the axle housings with a panhard bar to locate the rear and let it roll. The locating arms are simply 3/4" steel tubing with rod ends. Not much impact on clearance there, particularly since they're located well inboard of the frame rails. I suppose the major issue will be frame rail clearance.

Anyhow, thanks for the reply!

Cris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts