Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all. I have acquired two EFI motors, and I will be swapping them into two of my '67 Cougars. What are the minimum electronic sensors that should be hooked up for the EFI to function correctly (Mass air, O2, etc)? Both setups came out of cars with automatics (which at least eliminates the clutch pedal sensor). I'm just trying to minimize any sensors that aren't required in my setup.

Thanks in advance for any tips you can give.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Hey MetulHead, sounds interresting what you are doing unfortunately I'm not up to date on the fuelie swap into older cars but I'm in Albq and maybe we can meet up at one of the car shows or at Roswell track so I can check out your Cougars. Not many Ford people here in Albq and fewer I trust to show my collection to or let know I even have a collection. E-mail me and maybe we can set up a time/place to meet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
you have a large project ahead of you
find a large efi vehicle..lincoln,bronco,etc and you will have a large enough harness to reroute around your engine compartment and pull the entire wiring harness out, computer and all
get one from a standard tranny car and you will have less issues to deal with.(the clutch pedal thing is minor compared to the sensors in the tranny that the computer expects to see)
if you want reliable results use every sensor
that came with the vehicle that you parted out or you will have a check engine light that wont go out..this can also lead to the computer going into "fmem" or failure effects managment then it wont run well at all
avoid early models that used tab/tad systems
(the row of vacuum solonoids on the inner fenderwell)
you can weld a bung into your exhaust pipe for the o2 sensors if they are one wire sensors try to keep them close to the headrer or manifold if they are 3 or more wires then placement is less of an issue
if you have a "large" cam ie low vacuum you may see some problems but an aftermarket chip will straighten this out (superchips, hypertech)
it might be difficult to fit an in tank fuel pump to that vehicle..try a radiator or tank shop and see if they would put the sending unit from a fuel injected tank onto your older tank
you may want to use an external electric fuel pump to feed the injection..use standard sizing ratios on the fuel pump
i could go on..if you want more info
post it so

·
Registered
430 Posts
If you're at all competant with electronics, I'd recommend completely ditching the Ford ECC and endless wiring harnesses and use an aftermarket computer.

The best so far is the Megasquirt ( http://groups.yahoo.com/group/megasquirt ), which is a DIY solution in the $100 range. It doesn't offer control of the ignition like the Ford ECC, but there is a hack to control it available.

Read the archives and see for yourself - don't waste money on harnesses and computer reprogramming, but use the engines you have.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies! I do have all of the donor harnesses available. The engines came out of an '87 Grand Marquis and an '88 Continental (which were already modified for mass air). I have already modified the lockout on the computer harness to work with my Cougar's shifter. I guess I will try to swap everything over, and just keep everything tidy. Now I have to install the O2 bungs into my exaust...

Thanks again!

Bill

·
Registered
809 Posts
Except for the air cond and possibly the neutral gear switch(which is basicly the same a clutch engine sw), all the sensors on the engine are necessary for proper operation. If you don't have the book, Ford Fuel Injection & Electronic controll you should get it. It has a wealth of info on the EEC-IV system. Also the Electrical Vacuum Trouble Shootimg Manual for the year and model car the harness came from would be helpful(check ebay just search evtm).

I know you already have your harness' but the '89-'93 Mustang would probably be the best choice. Or a '87-'88 If you don't mind having to convert it to mass air, also the '86-'88 Tbird/Cougar 5.0 harness is basicly the same as the '87-'88 Stang. These harness have the computer in the passenger side kick panel should be fairly easy to use in a older car.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TurboCoupe50 on 5/12/02 8:07am ]</font>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts