Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

"Mirror 105 FE"

29K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  diesel 
#1 ·
Anyone know anything about these blocks? I have seen the blocks marked "352" but when I got my 390 it didn't have the common 352 markings. I found a similar block to mine on e-bay that they are calling a "mirror 105" block.... supposedly are reinforced or so the listing says.... Any FE guys out there that can shed some light on these?

Keith

#3 · (Edited)
Bumblebee here is a list of all the FE blocks you can match your block with these numbers I believe it's a 391 truck motor they had reinforced webbing.

http://www.fordification.com/tech/castingnumbers-FEblock.htm

I went looking on the web and this is what I found out about the mirror 105 block.

("105" simply indicates it was cast at the Michigan Casting Center, a new Ford foundry which came on line in 1972 and was up to speed by 1973. You won't find ANY FE items with the 105 number prior to this date, and ALL were cast at MCC.)

#4 ·
Thanks guys... I thought the block might be a 62...looks like a 72 instead. Heads are 64 Galaxie.

#5 ·
That's a fairly desirable block. The main webbing has an additional rib for more strength. The cylinder walls are likely thicker than regular passenger car block. No guarantee though. And the distributor hole may be larger, necessitating a spacer to use a regular passenger car distributor.

It's a good block to have.

paulie

#7 ·
#9 ·
Hmmmmmmm Paulie..........
Didnt know about the possible larger Dizzy hole... will have to measure it out... Where do you get the "spacer" and what might it be called?

#10 ·
OK..... Good news..
Just looked up the distributor for a 65 Galaxie 500 and a 72 F100 both with 390 and they are the same part number... so no worries about the hole. (block is a 72)

#12 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. This was a running engine prior to my tearing into it... The plus on this is that the FT blocks apparently had forged steel steel rather than cast cranks although it looks like there were some other differneces relating to the crank, heads etc. Thanks PSIG for the link to the wiki... useful information. I see what you mean about the distributor Plovett. I will need to check the pilot hole in the block to see what I can find out.

Thanks again.

Keith

#13 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. This was a running engine prior to my tearing into it... The plus on this is that the FT blocks apparently had forged steel steel rather than cast cranks although it looks like there were some other differneces relating to the crank, heads etc. Thanks PSIG for the link to the wiki... useful information. I see what you mean about the distributor Plovett. I will need to check the pilot hole in the block to see what I can find out.

Thanks again.

Keith
I think the FT cranks had larger snounts so it would have to be turned to use your regular car front pulleys...Probably not worth the hassle unless its an all out race motor..

#16 ·
Agreed Frdnut,
I think the easiest thing to do though is just use the truck pulley setup. The crank pulley has 4 bolts on the FT instead of the FE's 3 bolt setup. I got mine already as an assembled and running unit, I decided to pull it down and go through it simply so I would know what was inside. If I have time I may do a mild port on the heads while down. I also have to check the valve clearances and flycut the pistons if necessary as I am using a much larger cam.

Keith

#20 ·
Don't confuse a FT engine with a Ford pickup truck engine.

mirror 105 does not mean that it's an FT. Just measure the crank and find out which it is.
Also that block on EBay seems like alot, but it's got a warranty, and a good bit of money spent on it already. (ie, Threaded oil galley's, baked, cleaned, sonic tested, etc). Plus it's standard bore, so would probably clean up at 30over.

best of luck,
Drew

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.