Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 63 falcon has no side mirrors. Not even holes where it used to be. I've seen them mounted up on the A arm? Not sure that's what it's called. But the hardtop is solid chrome there. Where do you buy that mirror? Or was it something someone just fabbed up? Would at least like to have driver side mirror. Thanks

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
That would be A-pillar, and no thats not a factory place for one. It would be mounted to the door, and you can get what they call "peep" mirrors from lots of aftermarket suppliers if drilling holes is not what you want to do.... (the peep mirrors clamp the the drip rail with set screws)

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Side mirrors didn't come from the factory...they were dealer options. I've seen them mounted on the fender before. If you’re going to install mirrors yourself be sure you can open the vent window before you drill holes. Period correct mirrors can be bought from any Falcon vendor

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did Internet search and didn't see any that look like they "clip" on. Anyone bored and want to link something that I'm looking for?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
HERE top two pics... arms maybe 2 long

HERE FLEEBAY shorter shaft

HERE FLEEBAY long shaft..

Ok done for the night but you get the drift now.... ;)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Called them and guy said peep mirrors won't fit on Hardtops. The whole outside of the A pillar is chrome molding. Bummer, I like that look. Guess back to having to drill into the door...double bummer. Thanks for posting that stuff guys

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Called them and guy said peep mirrors won't fit on Hardtops. The whole outside of the A pillar is chrome molding. Bummer, I like that look. Guess back to having to drill into the door...double bummer. Thanks for posting that stuff guys
The mirrors actually mount to the outer edge of the door window opening frame (sedan) but you must have a 63 1/2 HDTP with no frame. They can also mount to the vent glass frame but you say yours has moldings?

They can also mount on the rain drip rails just above the door opening. Have you considered that? Is there a molding that runs the length of the drip rail (can't remember)? There should be a style that has the set screws that screw-in from the outside surface of the mounting arm.

I fully understand your not wanting to make holes in the door skin but wouldn't door mounts make the car look cleaner?

There are correct repro outside mirrors available.

BTW- The A Pillar is actually the hinge pillar and windshield opening side brace.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
BTW- The A Pillar is actually the hinge pillar and windshield opening side brace.

Termonology Kult termonology..... I dont know what the FACTORY term was for it, but i have NEVER heard it called ..... opening side brace. Always heard it called the A pillar, and the next in line the B pillar (2 AND 4 drs) and if 4 doors the rear-most called C pillar.

But ok if its the windshield opening BRACE i guess it is.... Why are spot lights either pillar mount/door mount/ roof mount/ or fender mount? Then what are THEY talking about?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Termonology Kult termonology..... I dont know what the FACTORY term was for it, but i have NEVER heard it called ..... opening side brace. Always heard it called the A pillar, and the next in line the B pillar (2 AND 4 drs) and if 4 doors the rear-most called C pillar.

But ok if its the windshield opening BRACE i guess it is.... Why are spot lights either pillar mount/door mount/ roof mount/ or fender mount? Then what are THEY talking about?
Why are you yelling at me? You having a DanH moment?

I was not correcting anyone just trying to come to a common understanding. I thought he had a sedan from his first post.

A-Piller/ Also Hinge Pillar (Lower)/Windshield Pillar (Upper)

Sorry... sheesh ...

I could go back upstairs and listen to the old lady b!tch... :frown:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
His emphasis wasn't hollering at you, sheesh. MOF2U is generally a fun and cagy sort.

Thanx fer havin me back FE.....

No wasnt yelling at you Kult...... THIS IS YELLING AT YOU, YA KNOW WHEN THE WHOLE THING IS IN CAPS... The caps were for "emphasis"... maybe shoulda done it that way.... So I apologize if you feel as if I were...

·
Registered
5,337 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Now you are throwing those fancy foreign college words at me... :mad:

Seriously, I was just kidding around with you.

LOL!!!

:tup:

Dats cool....

Back to OP's problem, if it were me I would find either the one "hot-rod peep" mirrors that has the Curved (90degress) stem and mount it to the drip rail (above the door) or like a couple have mentioned get one of the repopped FACTORY styles and drill the 2 holes needed with the proper gasket and install it 'permanently'.... The factory style would look the best IF you HAVE to have an outside mirror.

They have recently changed the law here in TX about having to have 2 mirrors instead of just one, but I am uncertain as to what year the cut off would be (if they have one) for not having at LEAST 2.

I know I argue with the young guys at the insp stations here about My '61 not having seat belts every time i have gotten it inspected. (pre-64 not a requirement as it was "optional equip" at that time. Guess 65-up it became standard equip, or thats my take on the dates anyways....;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts