Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a strange problem on my '85 Bronco 351W. It runs great after the complete rebuild except for one problem. With the lights on I get a stumble or misfire at low RPM. If the radio is turned up (400W AMP) it's worse. The other night the lights were on, radio on, defrost blower on high and my son put up his electric window... I was going about 35MPH, 2000 RPM +/- and the truck stalled. It started back up right away and the battery stays charged. Any ideas?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Sounds like you might have a bad voltage regulator or simply an alternator that can't put out enough power at lower rpm's for everything.

I'd first check all your major electrical connections from the alternator to the battery and check your ground wire. Check the belt tension too.

Hopefully it's something simple.

Did you have all the same accesories before the engine rebuild with no problem? If so, it's most likely a bad ground or other connection.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Are you running a stock alternator? sound's like you may be drawing to much juice with that big amp! You may need to upgrade to a larger alt.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sounds to me that you have a bad ground!!Do you have a ground at the back of the engine going to the cylinder head?? If soo, it's loose and that is your problem!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts