Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using a steel bracket on my aluminum radiator. Even though there is a rubber isolator to prevent contact, The polished steel bracket is corroding.

Will painting the bracket with a clearcoat prevent this?

I thought that there had to be a fluid transfer for the corrosion to occur? Is moisture from the air enough to make this happen or is there something I'm missing?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
That is really really odd, and here's why. The aluminum would corrode before the steel would, according to my electrolysis notes. How bad is the corrosion? If you strip it, PRIME IT FIRST, paint it and clearcoat it, that should do it. Or powder coat it. Thats weird that its corroding though, the moisture could do it, only if it accumlated enough to make a film for the electrons to transfer.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They bracket came with an elec fan kit. It is a good sized brackt. I spent hours sanding it down and polishing it it make it look nice. When the bracket was unpolished it never corroded but now after sitting in the garage for a couple of weeks there it is. Even a couple of bolt heads that I polished up are also turning into this white powdery looking substance. The polished radiator and the polished alternator look great but the steel parts around them are now funny looking.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is more of a oxidation, but it seems to be worse at different parts of the bracket. It has only appeared in the last couple of days. It is not a light film, it has completely tarnished parts of the bracket. almost like it had talc rubbed onto it.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Well, I'd polish it again and then clear coat it like you first said. I wonder though, if you had like a current running through the bracket, like a ground was attached to it, the possible voltage different would cause corrison, becasue the voltage difference would "push" the electrons along, making it look like an electrolysis problem casued by water, not by a voltage difference. Check all your connections first, then buff and polish the bracket and coat it like you first suggested. If its damp enough in your area, that much corrison could happen, especially with the metal composition of the bracket.

·
Registered
81 Posts
could your battery be emitting vapors and it's showing up first on exposed metal??
Thought I'd throw that out there...

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Well, it could be, I mean, there is always a chance. Is the bolt on one side of the bracket closest to the battery corroding more than the one on the opposite side of the battery?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The battery isn't a problem, it's in the truck.
It is very moist in my area right now. April showers and all that. The bracket is mounted to the radiator support and I did just install a 100amp alternator. Hmmmm....I think your right, clear it and be done with it. Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts