Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen...

So, I guess this would be a "Here I Am" thread. I've finally come to the point in my life, after a few years of struggles, where I'm ready to get back into the car scene again. When I was a kid, there was a drug dealer around the corner that had a 66-67 Fairlane (nice enough dude, he just happened to sell coke for a living), so aside from the hideous Salmon pink color it was, I've had a hankering for one of those cars for years.

Can somebody point me to any dudes who have done a 5.4L swap on one of these cars? I've been looking around for a while and I've seen a few 4.6s that were halfway done, but I'd like to see one that was more or less complete.

Reason being, I'd like to get a V10 into one of these suckers. I know there are easier ways to propel a car down the road, but I need to do something different. You can only see so many red 69 Camaros before you get bored, know what I mean? I'm also thinking a 9.75" IRS from a newer Expedition and some 18-20" Torq Thrusts. I'm thinking this site doesn't cater too much to the resto-mod/pro touring scene, but any ideas/criticisms are welcome.

So in the mean time, I'll be looking for a 66-67 Fairlane shell (no reason to cut up a numbers matching original), a wrecked Super Duty, and some money. Oh, and time.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've thought about that swap myself. Our work 1 ton van runs a v10 & that thing screws for a big tank. In a smaller platform I'd bet it wouldn't need the turbos - as a street driver anyway.

Keep us up to date.

6T4 Bolt

·
Registered
94 Posts
May not be a 66-67, but SVTforme did one of the 03 Cobra motors in his 69 which has identical engine bay. You can check out his thread or website twintorino.com He got it on the road this past fall. He'll make you green with envy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses, fellas.

Thanks for those links, they really helped out. Its encouraging that people are getting the DOHC engines in these older cars. Since the V10 is a SOHC, it should be no wider than a 5.4L V8, so I should be okay. Obviously some cutting and welding will be involved, but what worth having is ever easy?

Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.