Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I see a lot of discussion about deleting the CMCV plates.
I also see a lot of claims of HP gains ect from all mods.
But when these mods are done they never seem to be completed alone, and a before and after comparison.
CAI, CMCV Delete, X-Pipe, the list goes on.
There always seems to be a new tune, or some other mod done together.
So what is the true story?
Was it the mod, or the tune, or the whatever that was the improvement?
CMCV is basically a tuner for your intake. Similar theory of the Offy Dual port but updated and modernized. IMO the Offy Dual Port was the most misunderstood and fantastic design of its day. Decades ahead of its competition. And still one of the best designs available today.
So here is where the discussion comes in.
Is the CMCV delete such a good idea? If you are force inducting (SC, Turbo) then yes the usefulness of them is negated. But on a normally aspirated engine is this such a good idea?
In theory the CMCV is a great idea. Restriction is far outweighed by gains.

CAI is yet another mod that has questionable benefits. The CAI does not offer any gain to "Cold Air" as it occupies the same space and intake source air as the stock setup. Would not installing a High Flow air filter as the Air Hog have the same effect? Same air "source", Same flow capacity?
So where is the gain? It isn't Colder air.

So now I have presented my case.
Whats your opinions on the subject?
Try to back them up with data if you can.

Let the discussion begin.

·
Registered
8 Posts
As far as CAI kits go, follow this scenario: Go out jogging and breath through a 1/4 inch diameter straw - then go out jogging and breath through a 1/2 in diameter straw........Obviously you will prefer the larger straw. Although these kits may not actually be true "COLD AIR" they do offer larger diameter piping with better flow characteristics and in most cases heat shrouds to reduce the amount of scavanged hot air. I chose an INJEN kit for my 05 Stang GT and I can feel how it has outperformed the stock box even with the K+N drop in.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
The CAI makes a huge difference on the 05+ and when coupled w/ a tuner (since CAIs sometimes causes a lean condition), you can get 20 hp easily. The x-pipe though won't add anything worth the cash since the exhaust is very efficiant on the new Mustang. As for the CMCV, deleting them only gives you gains in the mid-upper rpms so if you don't plan to spend a lot of time up there, keep them in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts