Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much better is a modular motor over a pushrod motor?
Kenny

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Depends upon which one you know how to work on!! The mod motor in it's current state of development is an excellent, reliable power plant. However, like a lot of OHC ricer motors, it is a complicated, expensive motor to modify apart from very basic bolt ons. I'm a pushrod kind of guy myself, but it's hard to argue with the power the new Lighting and Cobra are putting out.

·
Registered
567 Posts
The MOD engine is much more efficient, and does create a lot more power vs ROD engines, look at the new 5.4 in the GT40 and Mach 1, both pushing a lot of HP per displacement. Also, Fords I4 2.3l in the Ranger has about 40 more HP at higher RPM thanks to DOHC. MOD allows higher revs and more efficient resulting in more power, and rockers/push rods are a thing of the past. Although this does mean with a 5.4 DOHC, changing cam would be about 4 times as expensive and time consuming.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now i wonder is it possible to Stroke a 4.6 MOD engine? That would be an expensive dream come true
Kenny

·
Registered
43 Posts
SHM sells stroker kits for the mod 4.6...and you're right, it is expensive.

Generally it seems good to be moving to new technology, although the old "low tech" style engines at GM are making some kickass power. The LS1 is a great engine. And the new Hemi is looking good too.

The problem with moving to the higher tech engines is they generally do that at the cost of something else (displacement), so it makes the same power but less displacement and more complexity.

*shrug* I can't afford to build up a 4.6, I'll tell you that much.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I cant either
, ill just have to make due with my little 289
, you think i can squezz 300+ Hp out of it. What mods will it take.
Kenny

·
Registered
508 Posts
I'm going to sound very ignorant here, but what exactly is a modular motor? I know they're in the new mustangs, and the navigator, but what are their principal differences from the good 'ol motors?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From what I understand a Modular motor Has a single or more overhead cams (ala IMPORTS) therefore eliminating the need for pushrods to open and close air and exaust valves in the heads. Its more efficient with its breathing and produces more HP by playing tricks with air. I may not be clear, but thats the understanding i get.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Yeah, the MOD engine is DOHC per bank, possibly SOHC, but it allows valves to close right on time, whereas Rods/rockers will have a delay, so it allows for higher revs because the valves wont float, and higher revs+no floating= Massive HP. I dont see why the stroker Kit would be more for the MOD engines, other than you're typical supply and demand, because nobody has one yet, and they will probably need to be stronger. A great example of close to a MOD engine is the 427 SOHC that was outlawed because of Mopar in the 60's <burn in hell mopar!> They didnt like it because it kept beating them. SOHC allowed the massive block as that to rev to provide 658 [email protected] RPMS, which, personally, I find rather impressive, even if you dont take into regaurd the time frame. Any other MOD questions? I've looked into it quite a bit.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BuiltFordTough on 4/23/02 2:52pm ]</font>

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wow, that help alot. Now i wonder how much more efficient a 4.6 281 mod motor is over a 4 bbl 4.7 289 with a roller cam (im guessing 10-15%). Ive heard that the mod made like 320 hp in a cobra naturally. Cant the old 289 make between 325-350 hp with the right head, carb, intake, cam, exaust setup, and give the mod a run for its money? What combo can i put together to make the most hp and torque and still have a reliable daily driver?

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Modular engines come mostly in a single overhead cam mode with the performance being the dual overhead cam. The modular is from Ford being able to produce a V-6,V-8,V-10,& V-12 on the same line using the same tooling & having parts in common. The rods are a broken cap design which adds to strength as well as the block using the head & main bilts in unison for strength. Guess that's enough for now.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Sure, it probably can, but you're also throwing tons of crap out the tail pipe <but believe me, im not one to care about that!!> Auto Makers are forced to be more efficient by Smog Laws, and here in CA we have even harder requirements! So, the plan by ford is to keep in line with the econo nazi's, and still please us. I can only imagine what they could do with 7 liters now!!!

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
all Mod engines are EFI and computer controlled?? what can you control with and how,I know for offers a program to do this all so Accel does. so next what would you have if you did that on a old push rod motor??????

Alan

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
how much more efficient a 4.6 281 mod motor is over a 4 bbl 4.7 289 with a roller cam ? Cant a old 289 make between 325-350 hp with the right head, carb, intake, cam, exaust setup, and give the mod a run for its money? What combo can i put together to make the most hp and torque and still have a reliable daily driver?
thank you

·
Registered
567 Posts
You're forgetting about Emissions! And the 4.6 is stock 300+ hp/torque, they dont seem to want to release actual numbers yet. And dont confuse FWHP with RWHP, big difference. Not to mention all those mods to your 289 will cost time and money, do the same type modifications to a MOD, and you'll see a big gap between numbers. Im sure once the 4.6 MOD is actually in cars, the market for aftermarket performance parts will explode. But its gotta work itself up, look at Harley, they just started EFI on their V twins, and the HP numbers cant get nearly as high as old Carbed ones, everything just has to adapt. Also, look at BMW's 4.9 V8, 394 RWHP, but its practically a giant computer, and thats where engines seem to be heading. <I blame the econo nazi's, once again
>

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LOL, who cares about emissions when your driving a classic
? So you mean to tell me that that the once great 289 small block is now a paper weight compared to the 4.6 mod
. I thought that the 4.6 were rated at 260 for the mustang GT and like 330 for the cobra, and the 2003 cobra produces 390 with a supercharger and uses an iorn block? Dont these mod motors use the best of computer designed technology?
Dont Mod motors cost like a gazillion bucks anyway(i can always dream of a mod 5.0)?What do you think about the 289 and what do you think i can do to mines
???

1 - 20 of 46 Posts